Chapter 34

“Emily?” Hannah calls hesitantly, knocking on the door to my room. “We’ve got a surprise for you. It’ll make you feel better,” she says. After yesterday’s tweets, I’d pretty much stayed locked up in my room all night. We had some interviews later today and I could tell Hannah and Carmen were concerned as to how I’d be during them.

“Not now” I call, rolling over on my bed, facing away from the door. I hear her say something I can’t quite make out before the door opens. “I said not n—“ I start saying, rolling over. I freeze when I see the person who walks in.

“Maddie” I cry, rolling out of the bed, almost tripping myself as I stumble towards her, throwing my arms around my sister.

“Hi Emmy” she giggles, hugging me tightly.

“What are you doing here?” I ask, looking over her shoulder to see a second surprise waiting by the door. “Hales!” I shout, as my best friend comes to give me a hug.

“Hannah called” Haley explains. “She thought you could use some family right now. You’re mom is flying in for the concert tomorrow also.”

“I love you guys” I say, the first smile I’d had all day lighting up my face. She smiles, giving me a second hug.

“Ok, so where are we going to go today?” she asks, pulling back.

“I don’t know…” I say hesitantly. I didn’t really want to leave.

“Oh come on Em. It’s the first time I’ve ever been to New York. We are not staying in the hotel. I’m not going to let you mope all day.” She complains. I frown, but nod my head reluctantly. She breaks out into a smile, happy to have gotten her way.

“So where do you want to go?” she asks as the three of us walk out of my room. “You’re the one that’s been here before. It’s your job to show us around” she says with a laugh.

“I’ve been here once” I chuckle “And it was on the X Factor Tour. We didn’t have time to explore at all” I take Maddie’s hand as we step out of the hotel, not wanting her to get lost in the crowd. Our security helps clear a path as we walk down the street and I try to think of where to go. “How about FAO Schwarz?” I ask. Hannah laughs, shaking her head in amusement.

“You haven’t changed at all.” She says with a grin. “We are in New York City. A culture capital of the world. And you want to go to a toy store.” I grin, nodding my head.

“What do you think Maddie? Want any new toys?” I ask. Her face lights up and she nods her head excitedly.

“Well it’s decided then,” I say with a smirk. We hail a cab and head to the toy store. Once there, Maddie’s face brightens and it’s all I can do to keep her from running off into the store.

“Let me know if you see anything you want” I say to Maddie. She smiles and nods, and I have to jog to catch up with her as she hurries down an aisle. “You to Hales. Think of it as a late birthday present” I add with a smile. She chuckles.

“But you already gave me a present for my birthday” she says with a laugh.

“I dunno” I say with a smile. “Then think of it as a good job on your final exams present then” I joke. She laughs, nodding her head.

“Ok” she agrees. “In that case, I’m going to go look down that aisle.” She says, pointing in the direction of the technology area, rather than the doll section we were in. I nod, and she heads off, leaving my sister and I to browse the dolls and stuffed animals. As soon as my eyes land on it, I know that it’ll be what I get my sister. Two seconds later, when she see’s it she grabs it off the shelf.