Chapter 28

“Thank you guys so much. You have no idea how much it means to us to see all of you here” I gush into the microphone. We were on our last concert in Australia and it had been phenomenal. The sun, the waves, and the screaming fans. I didn’t think things could get any better. We’d released our first album a week before our tour started and at the first concert, I’d already been able to see people mouthing the words as we sang. It was incredible. We played our encore song ‘Free’ before bowing one last time and exiting the stage. I collapse tiredly on the couch. I’d never realized how exhausting concerts could be. Being on tour had given me a lot more respect for performers. It must take a lot of conditioning to perform so many shows.

“You look tired” Carmen jokes. I smile wryly and nod my head.

“So does that mean you’re not going to go visit everyone?” Hannah asks, walking into the room in a change of clothes. I shake my head, groaning as I force myself up.

“No, I will. Just give me 15 minutes to shower and change into something comfy,” I say. After our performances, the three of us would go out to the gate and say hi to the people who’d accumulated. I take a quick shower and throw on a tank top and sweatpants, throwing my hair up into a ponytail and putting Zayn’s hat on before we head out the back. As soon as we emerge, I hear a cry go up by the gates and I smile to myself at the fan’s excitedness. I sign things, and take pictures through the gates before my tiredness starts getting to me and I sit down on the pavement. A few fans giggle, some sitting down also, which probably wasn’t a bad thing as now I could see some of the fans farther back. Carmen and Hannah just laugh at me before returning to signing things for the people in front of them while I chatted with the fans closest to the gate. From my view on the ground, I see a boy perched up on someone’s shoulders. He couldn’t have been older than 6 and it had to be way past his bedtime. I signal to the security watching us and when he comes over, I ask him to bring the two closer as they were fairly far back in the crowd. He nods and disappears, reappearing a few minutes later, bringing the boy and his older sister inside the gate. The girl seems relatively calm while the little boy clings to her leg shyly.

  “Hey sweetie” I coo. “What’s your name?” He ducks his head embarrassed behind his sister who chuckles looking down at him.

“This is Anthony” she replies for him. “And I’m Evette”

“Hey” I say smiling warmly at her. “I saw your little brother and he was too cute not to meet.” She grins, looking down at her little brother, kneeling next to him.

“Did you hear that? Tony? She thinks you’re cute. You should go give her a hug” she says. He blushes, nodding his head before walking over to me. I pull him into my arms as the girls outside the gate ‘aww’. “He’s a big fan,” Evette adds.

“Is that true?” I ask him and he nods his head, a small smile on his face.

“You are just too cute” I say with a laugh, brushing some light brown hair out of his eyes. “Do you have a girlfriend?” I ask and he nods his head, causing everyone to laugh.

“Well if your ever single, give me a call,” I say jokingly kissing him on the cheek before standing up, holding him.

“How about a picture?” I ask Evette who nods excitedly. She passes her camera to a security guard who snaps a picture of the three of us before handing it back to her. “Do you have a twitter?” I ask, “I’d like a copy of the picture” She grins, nodding her head. “You already follow me, I’ll send it to you” she says with a grin. I thank her and pass Anthony back to her before the guards lead the two of them out. We say goodbye to the fans outside the gate and head back to the cars waiting to take us back to our hotel so we could get some sleep before flying out tomorrow morning. When I wake up in the morning, I sign on to twitter, seeing the picture from Evette. I smile, saving it to my computer before looking through my mentions.