Chapter 9

UNEDITED

Curious, I ask Knox, "why didn't Lenny come along?"

He shrugs his shoulders as he keeps his eyes on the road, "she's been assisting in the pack orphanage due to the lack of employees and volunteers. She'll be at your party though don't worry."

Simply, I nod my head at his response, my hand naturally reaching for the radio a moment later.
"There's an aux cord baby." Knox states with a kind smile on his handsome face, while handing me the white cord as he keeps a single hand on the wheel.

"I-I left my phone back at my parents house."
Why didn't I call it home... it's home... at least kind of still... yeah...

Knox must have noticed the phrasing to what I said as well as he lifted a brow and momentarily chewed on the corner of his bottom lip. "That's fine baby, you can use mine. The passcode is your birthday."

I blush as I grab his phone from the cup holder, placing my birthday into his phone.
As it unlocks, I take note of his home screen.
"Is this us?" I question, keeping my attention on the photo.

He nods, "yeah, that was my eighteenth birthday. That's the moment I discovered you were my mate. Luckily my mom has always been the one to photograph every living moment. I guess you could say she likes to hold on to memories."

I gasp at how beautiful the photo was, I couldn't tear my eyes away.
My knee length hunter green dress, his solid black tux...His eyes were on me, as I was distracted talking to my mom.
The smile on his face... goddess, how can someone be so handsome and not be a god?

Thinking about it, I can remember bits and pieces of that night. That was the night I wore heels for the first time. They were small kitten pumps, matte black and quite comfy. Sadly, now they're a size too small, but still in my closet for some odd reason. I've just never let go of them, something about them seemed special.
Knox chuckles, "That night, I asked you to dance and you stepped on my foot. The heel of your shoe broke my toe."

Staring at my hands with wide eyes and an embarrassment rising ti my cheeks, I did through my memories of that night, laughing nervously as I remember, "I remember that now!" I exclaimed, causing Cayson to laugh in the back seat. "I never apologized, I was so embarrassed. I'm so sorry Knox." I bury my face in my hands as I blush with not only embarrassment, but also with a dash of guilt mixed in.

He lets out another small laugh, but this one was softer. His free hand now lay upon my thigh, giving it a small reassuring squeeze. "Baby, it's perfectly fine. I'd gladly break all the bones in my body if it meant I could be with you for the rest of my life."

Subconsciously, my hand finds his on my thigh, interlocking our fingers together.
Immediately, my heart skips a beat.
Such a small action such as holding hands, has such a massive affect on me. My mind. My heart. My body.

Minutes pass and I find myself being perfectly content with how things are in the car until Cayson speaks up, "So, Rose... when are you going to play some music?"

"Oh right, I'm sorry Cayson." I apologize, not thinking about how awkward he must've been feeling.
Keeping my left hand in Knox's, I use my right hand to open Knox's phone and play one of my favorite songs 'Bad Company' by 'Five Finger Death Punch.'

"Knox!" Cayson exclaimed, "you're fucking mate listens to these guys? We used to jam out to their music back in the day before you were titled Alpha!"

Knox smiles, letting out a subtle laugh as he shakes his head lightly, looking down at me for a short second.
Whenever he looks at me with his dark eyes, I feel myself melting like a popsicle on a hot summer day.
My body reacts to him like no other. It's magnetic.