44

I gave Anne a curt wave as I rushed by. I was running on no sleep, no coffee and today was the biggest day that Romano investing had seen in a fucking decade.

"Luca, Mr. Rom.. Stefano is waiting for you inside."

"Thanks Anne." I plowed past her, throwing my office door open and seeing Stefano on the couch, eyes up on the tv.

"You're late."

No shit. "I had to get coffee."

"And where is it."

In the trash because I threw a fucking fit that Crystal wasn't there. "I drank it."

"I tried to call you this weekend." His eyes were back on the news, watching the recap of Cohen's arrest.

"I was in the Hamptons with my girl."

He spun around, eyes wide as he smiled. "Che cosa?"

Fuck. He hopped up, barreling right to my desk. "Your girl."

"Did I fucking stutter. Get out of my face."

"You went away, with a girl, as in left with the same one you came back with."

"Vaffanculo."

"I want to meet her. If she put up with your ass for two full days, she's obviously a keeper."

"I don't have the fucking time for your shit fratello."

"I knew something was different. You've been acting different. You've been smiling."

"I'm always fucking happy." I threw my hands up, was I not always fucking smiling.

"No Luca, real happiness and I'm glad you've finally found it." He dropped back to the couch, staring at the floor.

"Come stai? Mark?"

He shrugged, not bothering to look up. "We want different things, I think."

"You're a Romano, stand your ground, he'll eventually come around, see it your way. We don't take no for an answer and we never compromise."

"Oh yeah?" He finally looked up, laughing under his breath. "So she spent an entire fucking weekend with your ass and didn't run away, didn't disappear the second you got back." He was laughing but that shit wasn't funny..... fuck, she had fucking disappeared.

"Get the fuck out." I snapped my finger towards the door.

"New clients are on your desk, I emailed Gav the ones I allotted for him, and the only one I haven't assigned is Goldmann. You want him or send him to fratellino?"

"I promised to personally handle that one." I saw the memory of my meeting the other day, sitting with Goldmann's wife in a room at The Roosevelt.

"Morning Mayor."

"Good morning Mr. Romano. I've got a city to run, clocks ticking."

"I've heard a rumor that Cohen will be indicted very soon, and I thought I'd offer you and your husband my personal services."