Chapter One

Volterra, Italy (2016).

It was a normal sunny day in Volterra, it was time for the tourist to be lured into the castle.
"Uncle why is there so much humans?" the little girl asks, "that my dear, is feeding time for us royals, and guards" Aro simply said, "They all look so clueless!" the little girl exclaimed, "Yes, indeed that is Heidi's gift for luring our prey" Aro says picking up the child, "Could I feast on them too?" the small child asks "I'm afraid not deary, you are still too young" Aro gives Charlotte a pat on the head, "Then I'll continue to drink as much milk to become big!' Charli says, "Charli, it's time for your nap time" A women with brown hair says, "Okay Auntie" Charli says, Aro puts his niece down and lets her go over to his wife. Charlotte follows her aunt to her room, "Why must I take naps while you guys feast?" Charli asks. "It's for the best" Aunt Sulpica says
Charlotte nodded. The Throne room was being assembled with chairs and tables, to trick the tourists that they would be dining at the Volterra Castle. "Brother It's almost Charlotte's birthday" Marcus says to the man with platinum blonde hair, "Yes, Marcus I'm quite aware, it's just a detestable day" Caius disgustingly said. "It's only by instinct-" Marcus began to say, "I've heard enough, I know it's only instinct but that doesn't change the fact my beloved Athena is gone." Caius growled, "Well what will you be getting her for her birthday?" Marcus says, Apart of Caius wanted to give her Athena's necklace but another part just wanted her to die. Caius finally shook his head, "Just give her Athena's necklace and say it's from you, like always" Caius got up from his throne and made his way down to the people. Charlotte resided inside her room and doodled then looked outside at birds flying by, to her it seemed the birds had more freedom then her.
Then she began to sing; "Oh, I wish I could fly way up in the sky." she pauses, and grabs a paper to write her song  "Like a bird so high.." she trails off then hears her bedroom door creak open, she turns to see who was at her door, "Uncle Marcus you isn't at the feast?" she asked in a confused manner, "proper way to say it, is 'Uncle Marcus you're not at the feast?' now child I came here because I wanted to give you a early birthday present" Marcus sits on the edge of Charlotte's bed, "Let me see!" Charlotte hurried over to her Uncles side, "Now be patient, you shouldn't be acting that way when receiving a gift" Marcus says, "Ok" she says sitting down and calming herself, "It's a gift that your mother left for you, when you turn 7" Marcus says giving Charlotte a black box with a white bow on top, Charlotte quickly tears the box open and takes the necklace out, "it's so pretty! Mommy must be this pretty too!" Charlotte excitingly said then asked Marcus to put it on her, "Of course, and yes your mother was quite pretty" Marcus held Charlotte's hair up and put the necklace on. "Thank you for giving me this, Uncle Marcus" Charlotte says, "You are a fast learner! Soon enough you'll be able to teach english" Marcus gives Charlotte a pat on the head, He really didn't like giving gifts to Charlotte because Caius couldn't do it himself, He hadn't seen his daughter ever, last was at her birth. Marcus let out a sigh, "what's wrong Uncle?" Charlotte curiously says, "I just wish you would stay little" he lies, but it was half true just not in that situation, "It's okay, Uncle I'll be your favourite niece forever" Charlotte says cheering her uncle up, "Yes,  you are right" he says then gives Charlotte a hug. Then Charlotte began having a debate in her head whether to bring up her father or not, she decided not to. She beamed and looked at her mother's necklace again, after her uncle left she finished writing the last piece to her song 'Oh I might just try...'  The Feasting had ended, Charlotte opened her door and skipped down the hall to find her Aunt Sulpica, then she bumped into a tall figure, taller than her.
The tall figure looked down and saw it was his daughter. He brushed her off, "Don't skip in corridors" he stepped aside from the child and continued to walk straight, heading towards Charlotte's room. Charlotte felt confused, "that's my room" she says turning towards the direction of her room. "Yes, I'm aware." he simply said, "Why are you going there" Charlotte asked, but no response.  Charlotte sighed then began to skip away, "You should only walk in hallways" Caius says then goes to Charlotte's room.
She found everything weird, she never had any interaction with her father. Only that he would just nag about some stuff here and there. She just shrugged then walked to find Aunt Sulpica.
Caius had taken a breath and ran his hand through his hair, he remembered his daughter was wearing his wife's necklace, he tried to not think any of it, he also asks the same question his daughter asked moments ago, 'Why are you going there' he had the slightest clue in why he went. But he remembered clearly what happened to his wife, it almost felt as if it just happened yesterday. He walked to his daughter's bedside table, it was a simple portrait of himself, he was confused as to why the child would possess such a object in her room, then he noticed the pink stuffed butterfly sitting on her bed, he had gotten her on her very first birthday. He found a note next to the window, he scanned the paper, and it made his undead heart almost break into pieces.
But he placed the paper back and walked out her Charlotte's room. Then he couldn't help but overhear Sulpicia and Charlotte, "Auntie, I'm able to sing the A.B.C's without having to read it off paper!" Charlotte exclaims, "That's wonderful! You should perform it to me and your uncle Aro" Sulpicia says, "Oh I will! Then I'll move onto learning the simple multiplication table" "Charli, you are so smart I'm too scared to let you grow up" Sulpicia says, "Auntie! You can't be! I promise to be your niece forever!" then their conversation began to fade as they walked further away, Caius sighed. He wasn't there for his daughter's first words. He had missed his chances in his daughter's life, but at the heated moment it was the correct choice, he had no regrets, but now he's slowly regretting the little interactions he's had with her. Then he was snapped into reality by a scream. He quickly went to where it was coming from but before he entered the scene he noticed his brothers already beat him to her.
"Awec attacked me" Charlotte cried, "It's going to be okay I'll make sure Alec isn't within a feet from you" Aro says, "I'm sorry! Charli" Alec begins to say, "No! Stay away from me" Charli cries and runs to hug Sulpicia on her legs, then she picked her niece up. Caius stopped watching and went to his office, something is making him feel this way, this is different. But also new that Charlotte was hurt. Perhaps this was his wake up call?