one

Elle McBriar
July 17th, 4 months and 5 days after the first zombie report

On a normal day, I'd shoot a few zombie's in the head and continue on my journey.
On a bad day, I'd get surrounded and seriously reconsider my life choices.

I'd be alone for almost four months. I'm keeping a diary of everything that happens. In case the population suddenly appears again and my notes can go in a historical museum... although I doubt it.

I've been using police walkie talkies, car radios and even cellphone towers to try and communicate with people. But I've heard zero response.

It's getting to the point where I want to end it all and shoot myself in between the eyes. But then I realise I'm too chicken. And that something is keeping me from doing that. I don't know why I don't just drown myself, or let myself get bitten, but there's a nagging feeling in my chest that I need to hold back. And I can't figure out why.

* * *

It's another hot summers day. New Jersey used to be so fun in the summer. Now it's a wasteland. Literally.

It's a depressing sight. Walking through your old neighborhood, seeing the once perfect houses now broken down, deserted and no longer livable. Weeds are growing between the cracks in the road, cars are open and smashed into each other.

An involuntary shiver goes down my spine.

I've been to my old home multiple times. My simple modern, family home. The roof was caved in and the stairs collapsed. I just remembering it all unfolding when the outbreak hit.

I was in the living room watching TV with my little brother Oliver. And my Dad get's home. He looks sick and says he's been bitten by some bug. My Mom takes him to the bedroom and next thing I know, there's screaming and crying. Oliver and I obviously go to see what's wrong.

But I wish we didn't. I wish I could erase the memory from my mind. Seeing my Dad rip my Mom limb from limb, blood pouring from his lips as he glared at us.

I hid Oliver under the stairs with me. We waited til dark. And when we left, all hell broke loose.

Oliver was with me up until a couple weeks ago. When we were hunting for food and he was attacked from behind. I tried to get him back but he was bitten. And he asked me to leave. So I did. I didn't look back.

But when I went back to that same grocery store four days later, nothing remained.

I try to push the gruesome thoughts from my mind and focus on something positive. But there is nothing positive going on right now.

Except that I learnt how to hot-wire a car. I've hot-wired at least 6. The first one almost blew up with me inside. The next few just ran out of gas and the last one I had, I ran over a zombie with it and it started smoking.

I'm not the best driver.

But for now, living in a van is my best option.
It kind of looks like the mystery van from Scooby Doo, but without the happiness. Its been painted brown and black and it's hidden in overgrown bushes in the backyard of my some old house.

It has everything I need. Clothes, notebook, guns, knives and other scary stabby things.

I hate to admit it, but I've never felt more like a bad-ass in my life than right now. If anyone from my old high school could see me now, I'd be so popular and cool!

The sun started setting, casting a shadow over me as I walked the plain route back to my van.

I grabbed a stick, dragging it along the road behind me, scraping my shoes on the pavement as I walked. I don't care about anything anymore.

My mind is always wandering, pushing away the scary thoughts that enter my head.

I keep a gun holstered to my side and a gun tucked away in my sleeve and pant leg.
The tips from the movie 'Zombieland' actually work. Shoot them twice.

I'm glad I watched that movie before the power went out.

I glance either side of me, behind and in front before crossing the road, making a bee-line to my house. I cross through the old stony steps, running through the weeds and into my backyard.

Walking the perimeter, I always check everything before I go inside. Precautions. And to make sure I don't freaking die!

Opening the door to my unmovable van, I climb inside, taking off my backpack and slipping it on top of the wheel. As I stretch my back muscles, the all too familiar sounds shakes me to my core.

Surprisingly enough, zombies don't say 'brains', they don't really say anything. They just kind of moan like they ate some really good cake!

Spinning around I saw the deadly human walking towards me. The only benefit to this whole zombie thing and me being inexperienced, is that they do walk like a grandma with one leg.

Slow fuckers.

I grab my gun from the holster and flick off the safety, aiming it right at the zombies head. I hate shooting them. I know they're the undead and all, but these are people I used to know.

I had to kill my old elementary school teacher Mrs Weis a couple days ago, it was sad.

Pulling the trigger once, I squeezed my eyes shut. Opening them again, I aimed the gun once more, hearing the second bullet fly through the air and hit the rotting flesh of the zombie.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and glanced at the thing on the ground. I made a face. They smell like literal shit and burnt bacon. It's disgusting.

You get used to the smell after a while. The putrid smell of flesh is now a common thing.

I don't know it'd be copyright to call Brickwood 'Zombieland', but I'm considering my options.

Closing the door of the fan, the heat immediately settles in. I pull off my tank top, feeling the sweat cling to my skin like a feather to tar. I lay on the blankets, closing my eyes.

"You can do this Elle."

But I don't know if I can. I'm getting sick of hearing my own voice.
I pull out my journal, the tattered pages worn from my constant grabbing and snatching.

Brickwood aka Zombieland 2.0

Fires are finally out, but there's no sign of human life, again. And I'm seriously considering jumping off a building. Killed another zombie today.

Elles' kill count updated: 246

I think I'm going to re-locate tomorrow. Maybe New York? Maybe another neighborhood. Who knows. The world is mine now. Nobody can stop me.

* * *

hiiiii!

i hope you enjoyed the first chapter!

i L O V E zombie thrillers and paranormal stories so i had to write one!! i'm so excited.

happy reading, i hope you enjoy