sixty

Elle McBriar
August 27th, 6 months and 47 days after the first zombie report

Two weeks had passed and everything was normal. There were no updates on the radiation outside.

It wasn't worsening, but it was getting better. We'd made up games and things to do. I'd cleaned my room about 100 times since I'd been there, giving me something to do.

I got a new journal. Paxton made one for me out of lined-paper, a stapler and duct tape. It worked for the most part.

I was mostly just recording down my day and interesting things that happened.

But the most excitement we've had since we've been here is a power outage due to a storm outside. It played with the powerlines and turned our wires to dust.

I was just cruising around the bunker, seeing if anyone needed help with anything or if there was something I could do.

I helped the guys in the kitchen clean some pots and pans. "Thanks for your help Elle." Robert smiled.

I thanked him for giving me something to do as I headed to the bathroom to wash my hands.

I opened the door, hearing it close behind me as I turned on the tap, washing my hands in the cold soapy water.

I hadn't realised until I heard it, but one of the far stalls was closed. Someone coughed and I turned around, "Hello?"

"Elle? Is that you?" A familiar voice said, "Yes. It's me?"

I walked over to the stall, pushing it open. I saw Megan on the floor, I gasped and knelt down, "Oh my God are you okay?" I asked her, "I'm fine, I think."

I held her hair back for her and rubbed her back, "Do you want me to call someone?" She shook her head, "No. Nobody, please." She said.

I continued to sit on the floor with her while she threw up the contents of her lunch, "Did you eat something bad?" I asked.

I waited for her answer, "I'm pregnant."

* * *

I was in shock. It'd been a couple minutes after Megan told me she's pregnant and I couldn't say anything.

"Alex is going to be a Dad?" I whisper.
Megan laughed softly, "Yep. And he doesn't even know!"

My eyes shot to her, "What do you mean he doesn't know? How long have you known?" I asked, "As long as you have." She shrugged.

"I figured after I missed my period last week and I've been feeling sick every morning." She wiped her mouth again after spilling her guts.

I felt tears well in my eyes, "Oh my goodness." I smiled, "Well, congratulations." I sigh, "Thanks I guess."

She had a frown on her face, "I don't know how to tell him? Or Elaine. Oh God, how do I tell anybody?" Megan began freaking out, "Hey, don't stress. It's not good for the baby."

"I know these boys, and they'll be so happy for you and will be so supportive of you. And you've seen Alex, how he is with Riley, he'll be a great Dad."

She nodded warily, wiping her teary eyes, "I know. I'm just scared."

I laughed, "You're allowed to be. I would be too."

Megan is only 23. She just finished her degree in psychology when she got the job as a therapist to work down here. Alex was studying medical law at his university so he knows what to do.

"Tell them on your own terms. But for now- I think it's best we start with your best friend and a doctor!"

Tears were shed when Megan told Elaine she was pregnant. They started freaking out over names. Ally of Tessa if it was a girl and Jackson or Owen if it was a boy.

"Ally and Jackson were my siblings and Tessa and Owen were Elaines." Megan smiles sadly, rekindling an old memory.

"I think they're beautiful names." I smiled.

We're in the medical wing, awaiting the examination results.

"Seems you're about 2 weeks along. The baby is the size of a grain of rice and seems to be healthy from what I can see."

Megan visibly relaxed and sighed, "Why is my morning sickness so bad then?"

The nurses shrugged, "Could he a number of things. Stress, hormones and it could just be the baby is doing well."

"How long til we find out the gender? So Elle and I can throw a gender reveal party." Elaine jumped up and down.

"12-13 weeks to be sure." Elaine sighed, "That's so long away!" "It'll go quickly, trust me!"

Elaine cleaned up her stomach and wiped the goo off, pulling her shirt down.

"What do I tell Alex? How do I tell Alex?"
"Tell me what?" Alex said, standing in the doorway of the medical room.

"How'd you know I was here?" Megan asked, "I didn't. I was looking for you and heard voices and here you are."

"Here I am." She swallowed nervously.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked gently, placing his hand on her forehead, "I'm okay. Just... sick."

Elaine and I watched from the sidelines as Alex smothered her with kisses and made sure she was okay.

"We'll leave you two alone." I said, closing the door behind us. I squealed loudly and jumped up and down with Elaine.

"We're going to be Aunts!"

Regaining my composure, I said goodbye to Elaine and walked into the kitchen.

I wrapped my arms around Paxton's back. He flinched before he realised it was me.

"Hey, where've you been?" He asked, "Around." I lied, "Why is your face all red?"

I shrugged, "It's hot in here."

He shrugged, taking a seat at the table. It was lunchtime but Pax only just woke up so he was eating it late.

"Damn, this is really good." He sighed, "What is that?" I asked, pointing to the wall, "What!"

He turned his head and I took a bite from the cupcake he was eating. When he turned back around I acted like nothing happened, but he looked down at his cupcake and then at me and glared.

"You're so mean to me." He sighed dramatically, "You're just gullible."

He flicked me in the arm and I feigned hurt, "No I'm not talking to you anymore Paxton!" I huffed, crossing my arms.

He rolled his eyes, "Okay Elle, whatever you say." I turned away from him, "That actually hurt."

"You just talked to me." He laughed.

I got up off my seat, pissed off that he's pissing me off. I didn't get very far because my arms were pinned above me, "Don't walk away from me."

I moaned and his eyes darkened, "Take it to the bedroom guys, seriously." Gage said, rubbing his eyes.

I giggled and took Paxton's hand, "Oh we will!"

* * *

heyyy
hope you liked this chapter :))