twenty seven

Elle McBriar
August 1st, 4 months and 20 days after the first zombie report

My head hurt like a bitch as I woke up on the floor of the liquor store. I was still here, in one piece. Alive. 

Quickly standing up, I almost fell again due to the weakness in my knees and the pounding in my head. What the hell happened. I remember getting shot glasses and then hearing a crash. Next thing I know I'm on the ground. 

I look around my body. Nothing is ripped, taken of broken. My gun is still on the ground. The right amount of bullets. So who the hell hit me and why? A broken glass bottle of Whiskey is lying beside me. Remnants of blood traced on the glass.

I lifted my fingers to the back of my head, wincing as it stung. I pulled my hand away, seeing blood still warm and fresh. How long was I out for?

I glanced at my watch, only a few minutes.

I'm so confused. Is this deja vu?

I'm getting out of here. Picking up the gun, I run out of the store, reaching for the keys. I climb inside, taking a moment to breath. Am I okay to drive? I'm not going to crash. I'll be okay, just focus on the road.

But the road was curvy. I was swerving all over the place, this is such a bad idea.

I didn't even have my seat belt on. Reaching over to grab the seat belt, I stepped on the brake as hard I could, causing me to go flying forward as the car swerved in a circle, stopping right before hitting a tree. 

I closed my eyes for a second. I seriously feel like I just entered an alternate dimension where everything is supposed to go wrong for me. I tried reaching for the radio on the floor in the passenger seat, but it's no use. I couldn't reach. I'll just sit here for a second.

Close my eyes.

* * * 

Several hours later (more like 2) I was back to driving again. My hands steady on the wheel. I'm still trying to process what the hell happened back there? My vision was still foggy and spotty but I soldiered through. I need to get home.

The blood was still oozing down my back, I could feel it sticking to my clothes.

I ruled it out:

It can't have been a zombie because they're too dumb and can't lift object. It's been tested.
It's not a ghost because they also can't lift things. And they're not real.

And I don't want to say it's a human because I feel like they're not hardy enough... but after what Tyler and Jared did, I'm not so sure. So I'm not entirely convinced it's a human, but it's the only logical explanation.

I kept driving along the highway. Still ages away from New York. I'm just paranoid. Maybe the guys are right, maybe I shouldn't leave by myself. Shit, what are they going to say when they see that I'm bleeding. They'll freak out? What do I say? 

Pressing even harder on the gas, I'm going over 100 now. It feels great, the thrill of it. And no ones here to stop me so I can go as fast as I want. But I slow down when I get to the streets of New York, actually wanting to live a little bit longer.

Isn't it tragic though? If I died during a zombie apocalypse from driving too fast? It's better than a zombie infection. As I got closer and closer to the house, the crackle on the radio was getting clearer and clearer. I wondered if the guys had tried to contact me. I pulled into the long driveway, covering the van up with trees as I got out.

I had to hold onto the van for a quick minute so I didn't pass out. 

Regaining my composure, I opened the back of the van. Pulling out the solar panels.

"Honey, I'm home!" I called, mocking The Incredibles. 

They called back a quick hey as I went back and forth, dropping off the solar panels. I didn't let Alex see the cake mix or let the boys see the alcohol. It's a surprise. I dropped my gun off in Paxton's room, letting him he refill it since I don't really know what bullets it takes. 

I head into the bathroom, pulling off the blood soaked sweatshirt and throwing it on the ground. I had a pounding headache as I tried to see the back of my head. All I could see was the blood down my neck. Dried and fresh. Why hasn't it stopped bleeding?

Is there glass inside it or something? 

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts, "Uh j-just a second." I said hurriedly, shoving the sweat into the laundry hamper so nobody saw it, "Open the door Elle, right now." Paxton's angry voice said. I pulled my hair out of it's ponytail to cover the gash and opened the door, leaning on it, "What's up?" 

Paxton pushed past me, grabbing my arm as he spun me round and closed the door, pressing me against it, "Paxton what-"

I was spun around, cut off to what I was saying. His hands went to my neck and I felt him push my hair out of the way. His fingers lightly brushed the tender skin. I closed my eyes, shit.

"How'd you know?" I whimpered, the pain getting worse. "When we went to pick up the solar panels, there was a bloody hand print on the side of it. So I checked the van and the drivers seat as blood covered in it. A trail leading all the way to here." 

I felt faint as he spoke, I saw 2 of him, then 3. "Paxton I-"
"What happened? Who hit you, Elle?" I shook my head, "I don't know." It's the truth, I don't know. "What do you mean you don't know? Where even were you? And why'd you leave without us, you know the rules, after Tyler and Jared, Elle. It's not safe."

I swayed side to side, "Paxton!" I said louder, "What?" 

"Catch me."

* * * 

heyyyo

is elle gonna be okay?? i hope so.

happy reading