sixteen

Elle McBriar

July 23rd, 4 months and 11 days after the first zombie report 

I was still in the kitchen, hobbling around with a turnkey tied to my leg. 

Paxton actually did a good job, I'm surprised. 

It was around 3am, and I know I need to sleep. But I'm terrified I'm going to have another nightmare. I don't want to sleep alone, or at all. The weird thing was, I slept fine when Alex was next to me, because I knew he was there and he'd protect me.

But now I'm afraid to sleep because I know that no one is there to save me from my own mind...

"Are you going to be yet?" Paxton yawned, crossing his arms over his body. He was sitting on the kitchen chair, watching me as I cleaned, "I will. But please Paxton, go to bed. I'll be fine." He glared at me, ignoring every word I'm saying, 

I kept cleaning, wiping down the table multiple times even though it's already spotless. I scrubbed the hardwood floors to the point where my fingers will forever smell like soap. There was nothing left for me to do.

"Elle if you don't rest, you won't get better. You can't walk on your leg." Paxton warned. He got up and walked over to me, trapping me so I can't go anywhere. "Now, off to bed before I throw you over my shoulder and take you there myself."

I rolled my eyes, "You already used that one on me it won-" Paxton's hands went to my thighs as he picked me up. I was over his shoulder in a matter of seconds. "Paxton put me down this instant." I whisper-shouted, hitting his back.

He walked into my room, dropping me onto my bed. He big goodnight, closed the door and left. I suddenly felt trapped in my room. I got under the blankets, curling up into a ball as I hugged myself. Trying to trap the body heat in. I gave my duvet to Alex, since he slept with Riley in the bed, he needs to keep the baby warm. But since it's a rainstorm at the moment, I'm regretting that decision because I'm currently freezing.

I try to sleep. The cold always helps me sleep, but it doesn't seem to be working. Because every time I close my eyes I see the zombies, and my family, and a gun being pressed to my head. My eyes fly open and I sit up.

I feel sick.

What is happening to me?

* * * 

After getting no sleep and officially being awake for 36 hours, I don't feel tired. It's weird.

But on the bright side, the rainstorm cleared up completely. New York is beautiful and sunny again. Beating down on us brightly as we work in the backyard.

Gage and Paxton are building a shed, a month long progress. It's going to be underground too. Bombs, Earthquake and zombie free. The shed will just store grenades, guns and other things like no perishable foods in case we ever get stuck in there.

I think it's genius.

Alex is refurnishing the house. Fixing the broken window, installing heating in the walls and roof, along with sheltering the house, making it more durable and camouflage. So we can stay here for longer.

I wanted to help paint, but Paxton said I'm not allowed to move. So I'm on baby sitting duty. While everyone is outside under the sun, I'm stuck inside, watching a baby. Who also looks like he wants to be outside. 

I ignore them and pick up Riley, holding him to my side as I pour three cups of lemonade into glasses and carry them with one hand. I guess waitressing paid off.

"Boys, come get your hydration!" I called, shielding my eyes from the sun as I placed the glasses on the porch, "I'll make lunch now. Any suggestions?" I called, "What do we have?" Alex called from on top of the roof, "Food." I shrugged, "Anything." Gage called back. I waved at him. He seemed so far away even though he was across the back yard.

We built a fire pit in the ground. It was under the roof shelter and Gage built a small brick wall to shy away the wind so the fire didn't blow out. 

I grabbed a match, lighting it as I chucked the match onto the wood, sparks immediately flying. I went back inside, placing Riley in the sink as he played with his toy bunny. 

I got out the bread, toasting pretty much the whole life. When you have 3 hungry, growing boys to feed, a loaf of bread lasts a minimum of two days. I decided to make soup, with the limited ingredients we have.

My Mom taught me her secret recipe for homemade soup. She called it 'soup on a budget'. All you needed was a can of chick peas, a few potatoes, milk and salt. I washed the potatoes, cutting them into cubes and setting them aside. I mixed milk and salt into a bowl, pouring the chickpeas in there. 

I know this isn't a cooking show but I like the recite it in my head, it gives me happy memories of my Mom as she taught me, she was smiling.

I mashed the chick peas until the milk was thick and then put in the potato cubes. Bringing it outside, I put the pot with the soup on top of the fire, placing a makeshift lid on top and waiting for it too cook.

Riley was playing beside me, crawling all over the concrete. He's really fast, the little dude got speed.

Once the pot began to boil, I lifted off the lid, inhaling the beautiful scent. I smells amazing. It may not be much, but I'm trying to keep as much normality as I can, even if that means going to the extra mile to make home cooked meals. 

I brought the pot inside, placing it on the bench as I went outside to brown the toast. We don't want it burnt or Paxton will get mad. He hates burnt toast.

* * * 

After bringing Riley's highchair outside and sitting him in it, I placed cooked carrots, banana and a juice cup full of orange juice on his chair. He was happily sitting there. And I could see him from where I cooked inside.

I poured even amounts of soup into four bowls, topping it off with toast and then a pinch of pepper on the top. Call me Gordon Ramsey. I'm the new chef in town.

I saw Paxton and Gage by the shed. The were hammering in something. They had their shirts off and I must admit, it's a beautiful site. I didn't want to get caught gawking so I kept walking.

"Lunch, here. And Paxton, be careful okay? You basically got surgery yesterday." I smirked, nodding to his chest. I placed the bowls on the grass and walked back to the house, "Alex! Lunch!" I called up to him, "Coming!" 

I heard footsteps on the roof and then he dangled off it. "Jeez, be careful." I laughed as he swung down, landing with a thud on the ground.

"Damn, what is this?" He asked, taking a bite, "Just a soup my Mom taught me how to make, nothing special." I shrugged.

Alex went over to join the guys and I stayed with Riley, peacefully watching the day grow. It was getting hotter and hotter throughout the afternoon. I couldn't wait til the evening when it finally cooled down. 

Placing my dirty bowl in the sink, I washed it clean, drying and putting it back on the shelf. 

For the rest of the day I kind of chilled. I let Riley down for his nap before, the boys are still working so I have nothing to do. No books or magazines to read. No errands to run nothing. 

I sat on the couch, propping my sore leg up as I let the blood rush to it. 

It feels weird. Doing nothing during the end of the world.

* * * 

hiii

how was this? kind of boring, i know.

but, we have to let things cool down first before the world gets all kinds of messed up again. i'm so evil.

happy reading :)