seventy eight

Elle McBriar
September 10th, 6 months and 60 days since the first zombie report

Apparently we had passed the Washington sign not too long ago. Although I was asleep, so I missed out on the excitement of us getting to the place we wanted too.

It was a long-ass 3 days. Non stop driving, arguing, eating the same soup and crackers and other items that were stale. But it was also an experience. We carpooled with each other, learned things about each we didn't know.

Like, Penny is actually 22. I thought she was 19. Megan is allergic to peanuts and bees. Gage hates cauliflower, all these cool fun facts. But our road-trip had FINALLY come to an end and I couldn't more grateful to be passing by the White House. I never really liked politics but it was so cool to see. 

We drove until we reached the parking lot of Washington mall. I got out and stretched my legs, yawning as my body slowly but surely woke up. I looked around, the mall was huge. Double story, revolving doors, the whole lot.

Other cars were parked in the mall, but it gave me chills. Because I know in the back of my mind that it once held people, that are no longer here. I ignored the chilling feeling as a huge grin escaped my face. "WE MADE IT." I screamed happily, earning a worried yet playful glare from Paxton, who closed the drivers side door.

"What do we do now?" I asked, walking over to where he is. "Now we find a place to live." Gage called from the window. He was pulling up, parking next to us. Alex trailed behind them.

"But where? Everything is practically destroyed?" 

"Please don't say the White House." Megan groans, "Alex has this idea that we should move into the White House." I shake my head, "It's a good idea, but it's too big. We need a normal scale house that is easily accessible."

"But why though? We have the whole world to ourselves. We can do whatever we want, live wherever we want. Why are we passing up the opportunity to not live in the White House?" Alex argued with me, "What if there a zombies running around there? We wouldn't find out until one of us are dead, Alex. I know it's exciting, living wherever the hell you want but think reasonably, do you want to stay alive? Watch your kid grow up?" He nodded, "Then you need to be careful." 

He rolled his eyes, "Tough blow talking about my kid, Elle. You of all people should know better than guilt tripping someone." I was taken back by his statement, "I'm just saying Alex. It would pretty fucking sick to live in the White House, trust me. But right now, while we're running from people trying to kill us, I say we try something a little more modest."

"Whatever Elle, who died and made you queen." He bit back, cursing under his breath, "I did, Alex. When we fell down that godforsaken elevator shaft and almost died. I'm taking the lead here because no one else. So you either shut up and we work together, or you leave go get yourself killed. It's your choice. But I'm not gonna sit by and watch you get killed, sorry for caring about you." 

I don't where his attitude came from, or mine for that matter. But I'm so mad I just blew up. I stormed off towards the entrance of the mall, leaving them in the dust. Everyone was quiet as Alex and I argued. And I don't blame them, if they tried to speak I would've bitten their heads off.

As I get to the mall, I push the revolving doors, angrily slamming my fist against the hard wall. I hear a soft crack in my knuckle and pull it away, cradling my bleeding skin against my chest. I don't know what came over me.

I feel hot tears run down my face as I slide down the wall I previously punched. Where is all this pent up anger coming from? All my new emotion? I thought I was doing a good job of hiding it but I guess now. 

God, when did everything get so screwed up?

What did I do to ever deserve this torture? Why is every person we meet so hell-bent on killing me? And my friends! We did nothing to them. What's so important to them, our blood? It's just normal human blood, they have human blood, they can use there damn own. 

I feel light headed as my breathing becomes laboured. I'm panting now, struggling to hold onto my breath as I gasp loudly for the air. My chest is constricting? What the hell is happening? My hands, body and head begins to shake, is there an Earthquake or something? 

Panic fills my stomach, butterflies erupt and I feel terrified. I can't move, I'm frozen.

I feel lightheaded, like I'm about to pass out. I put my hand on my head, telling myself to breath. My mouth is moving but no words are coming out.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and I try to scream but instead I cough, catching my breath almost instantly. I feel my cheeks heat up and I probably look like a tomato.

I look up, seeing the familiar face of Paxton. His eyes are swimming with worry. His mouth is moving and I can just make out what he's saying.

I collapse into his chest and feel his arms wrap around me protectively, rubbing my back, soothing my aching heart. He's picking up the shattered pieces that is me. 

"I- w-what's happening? W-why can't I breathe?" I gasped. He pushed the hair out of my face and held my head in his hands, chocolate brown eyes pouring into mine. "You need to breathe baby, come on." I shake my head, "I c-can't." 

I can taste the salty tears as they run down my hot cheeks. "Think about something else, think about Riley or- or the cake you're gonna make me for my birthday. Think about anything." 

I closed my eyes as Paxton's touch on me ignited a fiery pit in my stomach. I thought about him. His smile, his laugh. His corny jokes he tells to make me feel better. I think about his body, the way it feels as we cuddle. His kisses, his eyes, his hands bringing me back to the surface.

The irony of it all being, I need him to breathe. He is my air.

And I can't live without him.

* * * 

heyy

i thought this was a wee cute chapter :)

i suffer from anxiety attacks so this chapter felt very real to me. 
tell me, who do you think is the superior character? i love them all, but if i had to pick, probably gage - he's so down to earth and cares about everyone!