sixty seven

Elle McBriar
September 4th, 6 months and 55 days since the first zombie report

My head ached and my body felt frozen. I'm stuck. I can't move. And I physically can't feel any part of my body.

The last thing I remember is fighting with Sophia and then passing out. Little bitch probably drugged me.

I peeled my eyes open slowly, the harsh white light of a room giving me a headache.

This room was no bigger than a small walk in closet. One door and no windows.

What the hell? Why does this keep happening?

I rolled my eyes at myself. I always let myself get manipulated by people.

After all, Mom did always say 'don't talk to strangers'.

I heard a fan whirring and looked above me. A white powder was being released down. I cough and coughed until my throat felt raw.

"Wha-what the h-hell." I choked, tears brewing in my eyes. They fell down my cheeks, tickling my chin in the process.

I squeezed my eyes shut and the powder burned them. What is that stuff?

A door opener, "You weren't supposed to wake up so soon. I used enough paralytic to last at least 2 days."

Sophia was rambling on, hurrying around the room acting all crazy. "Why the hell are you doing this Sophia? Let me go!" I screamed, trying to wriggle my body.

I'm just beginning to get feeling back in my legs and arms but it's very faint. Sophia laughs, "Sweetie, I paralysed you're with snake venom. You won't be able to move for days. Better sit tight." She smirked evilly.

She turned a dial which increased the amount of powder that dropped down.
A face mask was placed over her face as she left me to die.

She came over to me, shoving a needle into my body as my blood was drained. I couldn't feel it, but I could see it, and it was terrifying.

"Why are you doing this Sophia?" I pleaded. She scoffed, "Like you don't know."

I shook my head, "What? What don't I know?" I begged, my eyes watering as she continued to torture my body.

"My family- our family. They were taken and turned in zombies."

What? "Okay? So why am I here?"

"Because when Elaine saw what was happening to you and your little friend, that human blood could create more zombies, I figured out a formula."

I'm so confused. Why does she need me, "So it's my fault?" I asked her, angrily.

"No it's not your fault. It's the opposite actually. If I didn't have your blood, I never would've figured out the formula I need to bring my family back."

Confusion flooded my face as I tried to process what she was talking about.

"What are you talking about? We killed all the zombies there's- no one left." I said to her, watching her features grow angry.

"They're still alive! My family, my daughters- they're alive!"

"No they're not! You're delusional Sophia- I, they're dead. We killed them!"

I felt a sharp sting across my face as I looked up in horror at Sophia. Her hand was red as I'm sure my face was. The bitch slapped me.

"They're not dead. They're isolated in a cryo-chamber. Waiting." She was mumbling a whole bunch of crackhead shit that I didn't really understand.

"If you wanted my blood, you could've just asked. I would've given it to you if you had told me why you needed it." I said truthfully, "We need more people on this planet, don't let me stop you from achieving that."

"Well, if you want to excel the population, then you won't mind dying for it, right?"

"I never agreed to that." I mumbled, "I never agreed to having stupid teenagers meddling with my plans but here we are."

She left the room and I was alone again. The silence overwhelming me.

Someone will come, right? They'll know I'm missing and come looking for me?

* * *

I've had a lot of time to think.

And I've come to the conclusion that I need to get the hell out of here.

I have feeling back in most of my body now except for a few parts, like my elbows and a few joints. It's really weird.

If I flick or hit them, it just tingles.

I'm waiting for Sophia to come back so I can sock her in the face for taking me and stealing my blood. Every goddamn time!

She didn't chain or tie me to this table, rookie mistake so it's easy for me to slide off. The only thing that's going to be hard is the escape.

There's only one door. No vents, windows or moveable roof tiles.

I peer through the foggy glass door, no shadows are moving past.

As my hand makes it's way to the door handle, I slowly turn it, as quietly as possible. It clicks and I freeze.

Pulling it open as quickly as I can, I look side to side, and see nothing. Maybe God is on my side today.

I don't know if I'm limping or if I'm walking normally since I can't really feel my body, but I'm walking as fast as I can down this hallway.

A long ass hallway and no doors? Where the hell are we?

As I'm walking, I see 3 doors with 3 labels.

Maintenance
Cryo-chamber
Kitchen

I scoff, professional.

Pushing open the maintenance door, I see nothing useful to me but a ladder a few rolls of toilet paper.

Why is nothing in this place incriminating? The kitchen is the exact same. Empty coffee cups, muffin wrappers and cutlery.

I swear to God, this place is so boring. I exit the kitchen, nervous as I approach the middle door. Sophia said something about a cryo-chamber when she speaking all crazy talk. Maybe this is what she meant.

I push on the door, surprisingly it's open.

But I wish I hadn't.

Glass columns, floor to ceiling. Filled with a clear, thick liquid. My eyes widen as I look around the room, analysing everything.

The light is dark and eerie, a single white light is attached to the roof and emitting a terrifying glow.

I'm walking backwards, trying to make out what is in the glass tubes. Then, my back hits something. I'm about to scream when a hand covers my mouth.

"Don't scream." Is this real life? I feel faint. What the hell is happening?

I'm turned around, the persons hand still over my mouth.

"My names Penny, I'm gonna get you out of here."

* * *

heyy

thanks for being patient!

i've been sick with a fever for the past day or so and haven't been able to look at my phone due to a headache. but here i am!!

also, thank you so much for 2k reads - unbelievable. i never thought 2 thousand people would read my book!!

i'm busy with school currently because my country is officially out of lockdown now. so if i'm uploading it's either, on the bus to and from school or on the weekends :)

i hope you guys are staying safe with everything going on.