eleven

Elle McBriar
July 22nd, 4 months ad 10 days after the first zombie report

Hot and cold flushes were taking over my body. I was itchy and red, and sore. My head hurt, it thumped. I needed air, I'm drowning.

The ice cold water restricting my air suddenly turned to fire. Like the depths of hell. It was burning me, forever painting my skin with the scars, a reminder.

I see the fear in her eyes as she tells us to run and hide. I hear the agony in her voice as she screams at us to get out. The terror in her body as she trembles, over my fathers body before she is ripped to shreds.

My family is gone. My mother, father and brother. I didn't even get to say goodbye. They were ripped from my grasp before I could even utter a word.

I can't stop thinking of them. Everywhere I turn, I see them, telling me to run. But I'm safe, I'm safe here. But every dream I have where I think I'm safe, I turn around and there's a gun being held to my head before the trigger goes off. And the only peace I feel is the last 10 long, aggravating seconds of my life where I take my last breath.

And suddenly I'm drowning again.

But this time I feel hands on me, on my shoulders. I rip my eyes open, seeing Alex, Gage and Paxton standing in my room, staring at me terrified.

"What the fuck is going on? Why are you screaming?" Paxton yells, causing me to flinch, "Don't scream at her dude." Alex said, yelling at Paxton, he rolled his eyes, Gage stays silent.

Alex's comforting arms are on my shoulders, his eyes gazing into mine. He has concern laced through his features, a tired face, "I-I'm sorry I- I had a nightmare." I whispered, pulling my knees to my chest, causing Alex's arms to fall off my body.

I dug my head between my legs, my tears soaking the bed sheet. Why does this always happen to me.

"We thought someone was attacking you, Jesus!" Paxton moaned, rubbing his hands over his eyes, "They were!" I protested, my voice breaking, "In my dream." There was a long silence, "But I'm sorry for waking you, I am. You can go now, I'll be fine, I swear." 

I was still shaking, my hands under the covers so the boys don't see how scared I am. You need to be strong, Elle.

"I'll make breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow to make up for it, promise! And coffee." Earning a small chuckle from Gage, "Look, as long as you're good. We're going to bed but if you need too, wake me up, okay?" Gage said, looking sincere, I nodded, "Thank you. And goodnight, sorry again." 

They said goodnight. But I was still being lurked over by a shadow in the door frame. "I may not be able to see you but I can feel your presence." I said.

I heard footsteps, then a door close, and then I felt my bed dip on the side, "If I leave you alone, are you going to make tea and ferociously clean everything again like you did a couple nights ago?" Alex's voice made it's way into my head.

I covered my face in embarrassment even though he couldn't see me, "You heard that?" I ask, "I did. I was going to get up but then I fell asleep again." I could hear the strain in his voice, trying not to laugh, "Fair enough." I giggled, releasing a breath.

I lay down flat, my hair sprawling along the pillows. "What was your dream about?" He asked, laying down next to me. I took a deep breath, no one knows about my dreams except my journal. I have literally nothing to lose.

"It's just about my family. I have to watch them die all over again. And then I see my Mom, and Dad. How they screamed at me and little brother to get out. And how I never got to say goodbye. Then it's Oliver, I see him reaching out for me... and I can't get to him." I cried, biting back the anxiety that rose in my throat, "I see them, randomly, whenever I turn a corner and they tell me to run, and be safe. And when I hear their voices, I feel safe, and I start to think I am-" I breath, wiping the hot, salty tears that runs down my neck.

"But then I turn around and there's a trigger to my head."

"And you feel like you can't breath. Because every breath you take is dragging you deeper and deeper under the water until you finally drown." Alex finished for me, his voice barely above a whisper. I turned to him, seeing a silhouette on his face from the moonlight, casting a glow on his skin.

"That's when I wake up. When I can longer breath and it feels like my lungs are filling with water." He whispered, voice breaking on the last word. I nodded, "I know what it feels like. The last thing I see in my dream is the trigger being pulled and then I feel myself take my last breath, and it's over. Until it's not. And I repeat the cycle." I chuckled dryly, feeling the hatred towards my dream bubble in my stomach.

Alex's body heat radiated off mine. I could feel his warmth mixing with mine and I must admit, it's nice. Having someone to talk too who understands. 

"I don't know about you, but I'm tired. And we have some zombie hunting to do." Alex said, humor in his voice.

I felt him wriggle around until he was in bed with me, the queen size pushing us closer together. I don't think either of us mind though because he opened his arms for me to lay and I did. I closed my eyes and breathed in, I suddenly couldn't remember why I was nervous in the first place.

I also didn't know why my heart was beating so far, but I'll ignore that. 

I felt my eyelids droop heavily and I couldn't contain the yawn that escaped my throat as I fell tired. I couldn't really dream of anything, I didn't want too.

So I focused on the ticklish feeling of Alex's thumb drawing light and small circles on the exposed skin on my back. His arms resting comfortably around me. I don't know what time I fell asleep, but I can tell you...

It was the best damn sleep I ever had!

* * * 

hey!

i know, i know! it's a short chapter!

but it's currently 3:43am and i need to sleep. but i literally love writing this book so much i just couldn't resist. new update tomorrow (today) so stay tuned.

happy reading!