twenty eight

Elle McBriar
August 1st, 4 months and 20 days after the first zombie report

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was the roof of a bedroom. My bedroom.

Then I felt arms around me, and fingers tickling my forearm. It felt nice, I just wanted to sink back into a slumber again.

But I didn't. I stretched my limbs. Smiling tiredly up at a Paxton who just now noticed I was awake. Although he didn't say anything. His fingers were still brushing up against my skin. It was nice, calming. I nuzzled my head back into his chest, feeling the familiar ache in the back of my head.

"Elle? What happened?" Paxton asked softly, laying completely still. I dreaded that question, "To be entirely honest I don't know." I mumbled, "How can you not know? You were hit in the back of the head with God knows what-" "A Whiskey bottle." 

"What?" 

"I was in the liquor store, looking for vodka to put in Alex's cake. And I was grabbing some shot glasses and next thing I know I'm on the ground." His arms tighten around me a little more, "I woke up not even 10 minutes later and I found a broken Whiskey bottle on the floor with my blood on it. And to be honest, I didn't even know someone was behind me. Whether it was a zombie, a human. Or a freaking ghost."

Paxton laughed at my theory on the ghost, "I doubt it was a ghost. It was most likely a human. Which means we have a new enemy. Again." He sighed, "I'm really sorry I didn't call. I almost crashed and closed my eyes for a few minutes. I just drove straight home and didn't think."

"Don't say sorry. We're just glad you're okay." Paxton smiled.

I pulled away from him, a relaxed gaze on his face, "It honestly felt like another universe in there, Paxton. It was darker than usual. And strange things kept happening." 

"Like what?" He asked, "It's going to sound silly but, I don't think this war is over."
"Well of course it's not, it'll never be over, Elle." I shook my head, "No I know that. But it always has to get worse before it gets better. And what if this is just the beginning?"

He sat and thought about what I said, "I know what you mean. It feels weird around here too. Like I'm just waiting for something to happen." I nodded, "Exactly. Like in Brickwood, I shot two zombies. And the automatic doors for the hardware still worked." 

His eyebrows furrowed, "But that's impossible, all electricity is gone." "That's what I thought too. But apparently not." 

"We have to tell the others." "I agree." 

* * * 

After sitting down with the others and telling them about my theory, they all agreed. "Strange things have been happening, I will admit that." Gage said.

His face was still bruised and red, but he looked better. And he said it didn't hurt. It's just the healing that'll take time. My bruises are fading slowly, although Paxton reckons that my neck scar and bruising will be permanent.

"I just feel like our world has been flipped upside down, literally." Alex sighed, "Yeah I know what you mean. It's so weird to walk around and not see anyone."

It's weird to feel like you're always being watched. Which I feel like I am. Every time I turn a corner I feel eyes on me. Every time I turn my head, I feel the enemy. It's uncomfortable.

"Look, let's worry about that when the time comes. Right now, Gage and I are working on the shed and Alex is working on installing the solar panels. And you, are inside." Paxton said strictly, pointing to the house. I stomped my foot but when in anyway. It's for my safety. And frankly, I feel safer inside too.

For the rest of the day it was silent. Aside from the boys talking and laughing. I re-read my book. Cleaned, tidied my room and played with Riley. He's staying in my room for the next couple days and I'm excited. Not only because he's my favorite but because it means I get to watch him sleep, and hold him in my arms. It's going to be perfect.

But after giving Riley his dinner and a warm bottle of milk, I rocked him in the dark until his little eyes closed and he was asleep. I didn't place him down for a few minutes until he started to stir. He was in footie-pajamas and had a tiny hat on. He's adorable.

I put him in the crib before heading to the door. I got a fright when I opened the door and saw Alex standing there, hand up, ready to knock.

"Oh hey, I was just coming to talk to you." He whispered, "Is the little guy asleep?" He asked, I nodded, closing the door, "What's up?" I asked, once we were in the hallway. It was still a little light so I can see his face in the moonlight. 

"I- uh, just wanted to thank you for helping out with Riley. I know you're bored and want to get out but for now, it's not safe. For any of us." I smiled, "Of course. I love Riley and I don't mind looking after him. And I know it's not safe, but if I was bored I'd watch TV or go on my phone, but I can't do that so, I'm stuck doing nothing." I chuckle lightly.

I was leaning against the hallway wall, stiffling a yawn with my fist as I grew more tired.

"Well I'm gonna go brush my teeth-"

I moved to go past him but his hand caught my wrist, I was confused by the action until Alex leaned down and kissed me. I was shocked, to say the least, but I kissed him back, for a mere 2 seconds before I realised what I was doing and pulled away.

"What did you do that for?" I whispered, catching my breath, "I-I don't know. I'm sorry I-"

This time I made it to the bathroom. 

I brushed my teeth, scrubbing my teeth and spitting out the foam into the sink. What just happened?

Alex kissed me.

* * * 

hii

hehehe alex and elle kissssed

no but please tell me. who do you like better? paxton and elle, alex and elle, or gage and elle?
lemme know

happy reading!