sixty two

Elle McBriar,
August 31st, 6 months and 50 days since the last zombie report.

Days had passed and we were finally let out of the bunker today.

It felt nice to breathe fresh air instead of the misty, dirty air in that bunker.

We were all tested and cleared, the only thing coming back positive was the clean air pressure.

It was a little past 8pm, when I heard noises coming from the kitchen.

My eyebrows furrowed, what's going on?

I walked in on Elaine talking too some guys from maintenance. It wasn't talking it was more like arguing.

I listened in on the conversation but I couldn't really hear or understand what they were saying.

Knocking on the wall, they quietened down immediately, "What's up Elle, you okay?" Elaine said quickly, her eyes flashing with worry.

"I just heard voices, I was wondering what's going on?"

They all stayed quiet, "Nothing, were just talking. Did you need something?"

I shook my head, "No. Thanks though."

I walked back down the hall to my room, opening my bedroom door and closing it quickly.

That was weird. Elaine is usually so open and talkative but it's like I caught her in the middle of something.

Paxton came out of the bathroom en-suite, "You okay? You look like you've seen a ghost?" He smiled, a towel hanging around his waist.

I shrugged, "I just had a weird conversation with Elaine." I said, thinking back to it, "What do you mean?"

"Her and some guys from maintenance were talking in the kitchen about something and when I walked in they changed the subject so quickly, I don't know it was just... weird."

Paxton shrugged, "Maybe it was a private thing?" He dropped the towel and began getting changed, "Yeah maybe. But usually Elaine tells us about stuff."

I ignored the weird feeling I got, "Who knows, maybe I'm overthinking."

I flopped down onto my bed, burying my face into the pillow.

I felt the bed dip and then felt a hand on my back, tracing the skin, "It'll be fine. It's probably nothing." Paxton reassured, "I know. You're right."

* * *

The next day it was back to normal. Elaine talked to me like nothing happened. So I just ignored it.

As I turned down the hallway to get to the library, I heard a loud bang.

I cocked my head to the side, what was that? I shrugged it off but then I heard it again.

"What the hell?" I said.

As I was about to exit the library Sophia stopped me, "You can't leave Miss Elle." She had a regretful look on her face, "What do you mean Sophia? What's going on?"

I tried to go past her but she scrambled to the doors. She locked the doors with me still inside.

She mouthed an 'I'm so sorry!' And then left.

"HEY. SOPHIA!" I banged on the doors, praying someone could hear me.

I kept hearing the same banging noises. Are we under attack or something?

"HELP! PLEASE!" I screamed, my voice breaking from the screaming. My fists and knuckles were red from banging on the door.

No one came past or through the hall. I'm trapped.

I looked for a way out but there were no escape hatches or exit doors. Suddenly, I got an idea.

Running to the back of the counter, I rifled through the drawers until I found something heavy.

I picked up a heavy paperweight as I went back to the door. Taking a few steps back, I threw the paperweight towards the glass window in the door.

I heard it shatter and I quickly put my hand through the broken glass, playing with the door until I heard it unlock.

I got a few scrapes on my arms as I pulled it back into the library.

But I pushed on the door, almost falling through as I ran through the hallway.

Why the hell did Sophia trap me in there? Is she protecting me from something or leaving me to die?

I ran through the bunker, hearing screaming coming from the kitchen.

"We need to go!"
"We cannot! It will blow!"

I ignored there stupid chatter and went to my room where I found Paxton.

"Where the hell have you been?" Paxton said to me, clinging to me. "Sophia trapped me in the library. I had to break the glass." I mumbled.

I showed him the small scrapes on my arm as he kissed them better, "We have to go, come on!"

"Wait where are we going? I've heard banging noises?"

Before we could leave, another huge bang rocked the bunker and we were shaking. It's not an Earthquake, it's something else.

"Come on Elle!" He took my hand and pulled me through the door. I followed him to the kitchen where everyone else was crowded.

I saw Sophia and glared at her, "What the hell is going on Elaine?" Alex shouted, "I- we-"

"Tell them Elaine!" Robert spat, Elaine looked frightened, "I can't. But we must leave, immediately."

* * *

Without an explanation or a word of warning we were packed up and ready to go again.

We had to wear masks and cover our body with long sleeves. I was terrified. We were at the entrance of the bunker, a hatch in the roof with a ladder on the wall.

"One at a time, but go quickly!"

Once we were all successfully and safely outside, I looked around.

The place was a ghost town. Sand and fog was in the air. I couldn't make out anything except for a few people and some buildings.

The sky was red and hot, the bleating sun burning my skin.

I felt someone grab my hand, it's Paxton.

"We need too-"
"FIND SHELTER, NOW!"

My eyes widened as Elaine shouted at us, "ITS ABOUT TO BLOW!"

I pushed through the sand and fog storm, trying my best not to trip over anything. I had a gun strapped to my waist and a grenade in my pocket.

I didn't know how long we had until the place blew up but I do know that there is nothing to shelter us with for miles.

We're in the middle of the dessert!

* * *

hey

this chapter is intense!!!