four

Elle McBriar
July 19th, 4 months and 7 days after the first zombie report

I got shot. But I met people. ALIVE PEOPLE. They're not zombies.
I had a hot shower, ate a sandwich and held a baby. It's great. 

I know it's dumb, but I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Like I no longer want to be dead.

There's three boys, Alex Murphy, Gage Sitter and Paxton Price. And the baby, Riley Murphy (Alex's baby brother). It's great, they're so nice. Except Paxton. He's a bit of a dick, but he seems chill. 

I finished my journal entry, stuffing it into the front pocket of my pack. Alex was kind enough to bring it into the room I was staying in. I couldn't say thank you enough. They're so kind!

I hear commotion in the kitchen as I get up, wincing as I remember I have a literal hole in my side.

"You're awake, good." Gage smiles, shoving a cup of water in my hand.
I look around, seeing Paxton eating eggs and Alex trying to eat his eggs while also trying to feed Riley. I smile, sitting on the lone chair in the corner, the cup sitting on my bare legs.

"You sleep okay? I didn't hear a word from you all night." Gage asked, "I slept amazing. The best sleep I've had in years." I smiled, sipping the water slowly.

Paxton got up without saying a word and left. I sighed, he doesn't want me here. Which is understandable, I'm some random girl who got shot and they saved me.

"Why don't I feed Riley, you go do what you need to do." I said, offering to Alex, he looked at me, "You sure?" I nodded, "Seriously, go do what boys do." 

He gratefully took my offer and left the kitchen, Gage not far behind them.

I sat down in front of Alex, his smiling face looking at me, "Hi baby Riley." I cooed, hearing him giggle. I love babies. 

I fed him his mushed vegetables, getting spit on a few times. But once that was done, I cleaned his little plastic table, his hand wrapping around my finger. I know I shouldn't get attached but I am. I've only known these boys half a day. 

I lifted Riley onto my good side, holding him under my arm. I folded his highchair, tucking it away in the corner as I cleared the table. I dropped a fork and it clattered, making Riley laugh, "You like that huh? I never understand why babies got such enjoyment from loud noises." I said to myself, hearing Riley laugh again.

* * * 

After doing the dishes and putting everything away, I placed Riley in his crib in Alex's room, closing the door silently as I tip toed to the spare room.

The clouds were a little darker today, a not so nice summer day. The wind was blowing a little bit so I decided on decent clothes to wear today.

Pulling on black jeans, I paired my camouflage coat over my plain black shirt, strapping my gun and two knives in place. I packed everything away neatly and placed it by the door, going down the stairs.

I wanted to thank them for letting me stay, and saving my life after they shot me.

As I reached the storage room, I heard them say my name.

"I'm not saying she's part of the team, but she's useful."
"We don't know anything about her."
"Who cares. She can shoot, take care of the baby and she hasn't given us any reason not to trust her."
"I don't care. She's not staying."

I grabbed my pack, interrupting their conversation, "It's cool. I get it. I'm a stranger. But I wanted to thank you for letting me stay. And for saving my life."