seventy three

Elle McBriar
September 9th, 6 months and 59 days after the first zombie report

Gage told us to stay back while he went to go investigate.

"Why does he get to be the hero." Paxton mumbled. He went to go with him but I held his arm back, "Gage is a big boy. And besides, I'm scared of the dark." He covered his laugh with a cough but I still heard it.

We watched Gage in silence as he went over to poke the weird looking mushy thing on the ground with a stick. A STICK.

It didn't move, so I assumed it was okay.

"What is it?" Penny called, "I- I don't know." 

I could smell it from here. It smelt like rotting flesh and gym socks. I tried to block out the smell but it was too rancid, "It looks like a zombie, but, not?" He said with a questionable tone.

We all walked over to it after figuring out it's dead.

"It almost looks like a zombie mutation. Like a human turned zombie form but halfway through transition." Penny said.

We looked at her like she was crazy, "What in the world are you talking about girl?" Megan sassed, "Sophia was always showing me crazy formulas about turning zombies into humans again. And they almost worked, but something always went wrong."

The sound of Sophia's name sent shivers down my spine. Penny knows what I did, and she doesn't judge me, but I have a constant fear that they'll find out and hate me for it.

"They always come out looking like this, half mutated. And then they die." She shrugged.

She went down to poke it's eyeball but I pushed her away, "It could be carrying disease."

"Guys can we go? This place is giving me the creeps." Alex shivered, "Please." Paxton agreed.

So we kept walking, almost immediately forgetting about the zombie mutation lying dead on the road.

"So, you guys wanna play a game?" Penny skipped happily, we groaned, "What kind of game?" "I don't know. Like, would you rather or something fun like that, you know, to pass the time?" 

Everyone else agreed on playing but I'm sitting out. Sure, it'll take my mind off things but I have to much else to focus and worry on.

Paxton's hand had an iron grip around my own. He's not letting me go. I smiled up at him. The moon was in front of us, casting an iluminescent glow on the ground, and bouncing off Paxton's gorgeous brown eyes. I admired him.

He's so humble and handsome. His smile, his laugh, the way he speaks makes me feel safe, like I'm home. Like nothing bad can happen. The way he makes sure I'm okay everytime I get hurt.

I've fallen completely and utterly in love with him. And there's not coming back from that.

* * * 

The sign for San Diego had us all cheering. We danced and sang 'hallelujah'. 

We walked through busy but empty streets. Admired the dusty windows and overgrown bushes. I loved the authenticity of it all. Big concrete buildings, large rooftops, exquistie views.

I would move here.

"It's beautiful." Penny said, "Innit? I love it here. San Diego is my favorite." Gage said. 

I want to wake up on the beach and smell the ocean as I cook breakfast. I want to dip my toes in the water and get sand in my hair. I want to move to the beach!

I could hear the waves crashing along the shoreline as we walked closer and closer to the beach. It's nearly sunrise and we'd have to find some place to crash for a few hours before we got on the road again.

"Can we go swimming?" Alex asked, "Is the water safe?" He was asking a million questions a minute, "The waters safe yeah but, we have a deadline." Megan said sweetly, "Please baby? 5 minutes?" 

Alex and Megan had grown so close over the past month or two. I know Megans pregnant and Alex is the father but they genuinely love each other and I'm glad they found one another.

"5 minutes. But then we have to get back, okay?" 

Alex quickly and swiftly lifted Riley off his back and placed the baby carrier around Megan's back. And then he was off. Alex squealed and took off his clothes, aside from his boxers as he ran towards the water. The waves crashed against one another and clashed against the rocks. The sun was rising and it was getting warmer.

"Holy shit it's freezing!" Alex screamed from the water, before he dunked his head under again.

I laughed at his sillyness and sat down on the sand, burying my feet into the sand.

The boys - and Penny dove into the water, half naked. Lets pray they don't catch pneumonia. Megan sat next to me and we talked. She rested her hand on her belly, even though there's no sign of a baby bump just yet.

"I think we're gonna be okay, Elle." Megan said to me. I turned to look at her, her red-brunette hair flowing in the breeze, "This is only temporary. We will get through this, we have each other." 

I didn't say anything, just silently agreed.

Paxton came running up the sand, panting as he got to me, "You have to come in the water babe, it's amazing. So fresh and clean!" Paxton ordered. He flopped onto the sand next to me, purposely flicking his wet hair onto me.

"No. It's way too cold." I giggled, wiping my skin down.

"Come on, please? For me." He pouted, jutting out his bottom lip. I rolled my eyes and he smirked. He knows his puppy dog looks always gets me.

"Ugh, fine!" I agreed salty. 

I took of my shoes and socks before sliding my leggings down my legs. I peeled off my jersey and then shirt, which left me in my bra and panties.

Paxton looked me up and down, smirking as he wiggled his eyebrows, "Keep it in your pants, Price." 

He picked me up bridal style and ran down the beach, "Paxton, put me down!" I hit his shoulders, ordering him to release me, "Do you trust me?" He screamed, "Not currently." I laughed, "Too bad!" 

"Paxton I swear if you-"

I was cut off by the feeling of water. Paxton was in the water. I could feel it splashing against my skin. He was still carrying me and I wanted nothing more to be held by him, it felt amazing.

"I'm going to put you down now." He said.

I was put on my own 2 feet and was now a few inches below Paxton's chin. I frowned at my height but hugged him nonetheless. He's right, it is nice and refreshing.

I walked in up to my thighs, feeling goose-bumps arise and leave a trail up and down my legs and arms. 

Paxton's presence was right behind then. He swooped in once again and melted my heart. His arms snaked around my waist as his fingers traced the cold skin of my stomach. He rested his head on top of mine as we swayed back and forth.

This is the life I want.

* * * 

hii

this made me kinda sad not gonna lie, i wanna move to the beach so baddd