seven

Elle McBriar
July 20th, 4 months and 8 days after the first zombie attack

I walked down the halls of our temporary home. Brushing my fingertips against the walls, feeling the texture of the paint. It's chipped and peeling, but that's the least of our worries.

I checked the kitchen, turning the tap. Almost immediately, the ice cold tap water turned hot. At least there's hot water. Gage also said there's insulation too, so we'd be more. Even though it's the middle of summer in New York.

"I'll grab the rest of the stuff from the van." Paxton said, walking outside.

It was a basic home. Small and out of site. It was hidden behind larger houses, so if there were to be an outbreak, we couldn't be seen unless you knew where we were.

The sun was setting behind the clouds as I looked out the window, a million thoughts racing in my mind. I felt myself become tired, my eyes struggling to stay awake. I've had a long day of walking, carrying a baby and killing zombies.

Not that I'm complaining. It's much easier when you have something to fight for.

* * *

As the last remaining bit of light filtered away, we sat silently in kitchen, on makeshift chairs from boxes and containers. I was next to Riley and Alex, who was currently covered in baby food.

"If you guys could go back in time and pretend like this never happened, would you?" Paxton asked suddenly, looking at us all. I was playing with my empty dinner bowl, pushing my fork around in the small patch of uneaten pasta.

"Of course dude, why?" Gage asked, "I don't know. I know it's a dumb question but, forget it."
"No it was a good question." I interrupted, causing Paxton to look at me, "Of course I'd go back and pretend like I was never alone in the world, constantly fearing for my life. But there's a tiny part of me, that enjoys being on my own. Like, I have the whole world in my hands, you know? No adults telling me what to wear or eat."

Paxton nodded, "Exactly. I felt ridiculous for thinking that it's nice being in charge for once." I shook my head, "Of course not Paxton. But I feel like finally, now that I've met you guys and I know I'm not gonna be alone, I feel like I'm suddenly accepted somewhere, like I have a place. Because we're all needed somewhere, right?"

"I'm just glad my piece of shit Dad is dead." Gage blurted, casually scooping pasta into his mouth, Alex snorted, rolling his eyes, "Tell me something Elle, what school were you at? Because I sure as hell haven't seen you around before."

I shrugged, "I was a senior at Brickwood High." "We're supposed to be Freshman in college, but now that dream is inevitable." Alex sighed, "Wait, so you guys are like 19?" He nodded, "Me and Paxton are 19, but Gage is 20." Gage waved, "I turned 20 a couple weeks ago."

I nodded, "Well happy birthday for then." I laughed. I'm only 17. I feel so young.

We talked for a while, I got to learn about them. Paxton is an only child. He hates worms and ducks. I found that funny because he seems so fearless. But Gage, Gage has been to jail for illegally drinking and then taking handcuffs from a cop outside a bar, and cuffing himself to a door. I laughed so hard I swear water came out of my nose.

Alex was an only child until Riley, and now he's making it his duty to take care of him and raise him. I also learned that he is allergic to cats and knows how to make sushi. Interesting skill.

Gage showed me to my room, kindly stating that 'since I'm the only girl, I get the room to myself, on the exception that I sleep with Riley for three days'. I didn't object, I love that little dude.