sixty five

Elle McBriar
September 2nd, 6 months and 52 days since the last zombie report

They took Paxton away and I'm sitting outside the tent sulking.

Why was he coughing up blood? Usually that means internal bleeding. I chewed on the skin around my fingers as I waited nervously.

"Elle? Get in here, now!" Someone called for me. I got up, despite the aching pain in my back as I hobbled into the tent, feeling heat surround me.

The storm had begun, and I have a feeling tonight is going to be a long night.

"Secure the tents, make sure everyone is ready, go!" I heard orders being shouted from left to right, confusing my head.

Diffusing the bomb in the room, I skeptically walked over to where Paxton's pale body lay, "What is wrong with him?"
I called through the sea of bodies.

"We don't know. He's having trouble breathing and his throat is clogged with blood."

His body was surrounded by the nurses and two maintenance guys. I huffed, "Internal bleeding. Keep pressure on his stomach and make sure no fluid gets into his lungs."

They did as I told them, "What next?" I tried to tell him but Paxton started to seize, "No no Paxton!" I screamed. I reached for him but I was pushed back, "Clear his airways, make sure he doesn't choke on his tongue!" I screamed.

"Leave the doctoring to the professionals, get out of here!" Sophia hissed at me. I wanted to slap her so hard right now.

But I left like she told me too, making my way out of the tent and into the wild, cold rain burning to the touch.

It's supposed to be cold but I feel like my skin is on fire. My arm begins to itch and I feel my eyes puff up, oh my God, is this radiation?

I itch my skin, crying in pain as the rain pelts down harder, gluing my hair to my neck as my clothes begin to stick to me.

Everything is so wrong.

"Elle hey, why are you not inside? They're telling everyone to get inside a tent and stay there until the storm is over?"

Gage's voice is foggy. I can see him, I'm reaching out to him, but I'm falling.

I felt my body shake as my entire world went dark. I can't feel a thing.

* * *
Seizures seem to be a very common thing among the 4 of us. Apparently, according to Gage and half the medical staff, I could've died from the seizure I experienced.

When I woke, it was the middle of the night. It was patchy, my eyes were adjusting to the beaming light of torches and fires.

It was burning brightly, casting warmth upon us. Although, a howling wind still brushed through every once and while, making me shiver. And rain still softly hit the fabric tent, occasionally dropping on me.

I opened my eyes a little bit wider, stretching my body only to find my right arm attached to an IV drip, a needle attached to my arm.

I swallowed, this gives me flashbacks to when Tyler and Jared kidnapped me.

I shook away the negative thoughts. I wriggled my fingers and looked around, hearing my neck crunch as I turned it finally.

To my left was the side of the tent, a few rags and dirty towels on the floor. But on my right, was Paxton.

He seemed to be doing okay. An IV drop was also inserted in his arm. His head facing me with his beautiful brown eyes closed. I wanted so desperately for him to open them, so I could tell him I loved him.

I reached for his hand, squeezing his fingers wearily, 3 times. To say 'I love you.' I didn't feel anything back, but I hope he felt it.

"Good to see you're awake." A voice said, "How long have I been out?" I tried to sit up, but my head was pushed back down, "A few hours. Doctor said you're healing fine though." Gage offered a smile, I returned it.

"How did it even come about? What caused it?" I asked.

Gage sat on the camping chair placed
next to my 'makeshift' bed. "Every time you moved, the shrapnel piece moves closer and closer to your heart, well, it tears a tiny slit at the very bottom which caused you to go into shock."

I sat and listened, confused.

"You has a seizure to prevent you dying, apparently they got to you just in time."

I processed what he said, the thought of death being that close not scaring me.

"Damn, kind of wish it took me out that time." I laughed awkwardly. Gage shook his head, "It's ridiculous. We all should be dead by now." He sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"Go get some rest, I'll be fine here." I said to him, "I don't want to leave you or Paxton." He said, "Go. We'll be fine, I'll be make sure to find you first if he wakes up."

"Promise?" I nod, "Now go. You look like hell."

I can't believe we got here because of a goddamn zombie apocalypse.

I turned to Paxton again, interlocking his fingers with mine, "Thanks for not letting me die a virgin. And for not letting me die." I smiled, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"I love you Paxton, so much. I don't even know if you can hear me or if I'm talking to myself but... I just need you to know."

I love him and he loves me. I don't know how long til I can say it to him or how long it'll be until he can say it back.

Closing my eyes, I prayed for a miracle. And when I opened them again, the sky was blue.

I swear I closed my eyes for a second!

I don't remember falling asleep but I'm kind of grateful I did. Otherwise I would've been up all night overthinking.

I heard clanging noises and peeped my crusty eyes open again, licking my dry lips.

"Good, you're awake. You need to eat, regain your strength." Elaine said to me,
smiling, "I'm not allowed to move. The shrapnel is still inside me."

Elaines smile faded, "We don't have the requirements or equipment to take it out Elle..." Elaine admitted, "Truthfully, we could do a small incision and pull it out with a magnitised scalpel."

I quirked an eyebrow, "Okay? I don't see a problem here?"

She sighed, "We don't have any anaesthesia. Not a drop, so if you were to do this, you'd have to be awake."

Well, that changes the game completely!

* * *

hiii guys

how's it going??
hope you enjoyed this chapter :)