eighty

Elle McBriar
September 16th, 7 months and 66 days since the first zombie report

We had finally settled in!

Things were dusted off, glued back together and tidied up.

It was beginning to feel like a real home. We had a real good look in all of the rooms, cupboards and small cracks where things could be hiding.

But it seemed to be perfect.

Everyone got a room and a bathroom. Riley got his own room and when Megan's baby is born, it'll get its own room too.

Turns out this place is bigger than it lets on. There's a small circular pool out back with lawn chairs and a pool house with pool toys.

During Spring and Summer, we'll have a lot of yard work to do. But it'll be worth it. The guys are talking about this being a forever home.

We spent Paxton's birthday with him, drinking, throwing up and drinking again. And we do have power - Alex, Gage and Paxton managed to figure out the electricity that led to this house.

The solar panels are just environment friendly.

It was a good day.

We moved in. Alex and I made up. Oh, and Riley said his first word.

'Brother'. To say Alex cried was an understatement - he was a blubbering idiot. He also got the balls to ask out Megan, which is good!

But its still a shock to me that after everything we've been through, we made it out alive. Here we are.

I was laying in bed with Paxton who was tickling my arm. "You okay sweet boy?" I asked him, he's a bit quiet.

"I'm okay. Perfect, actually. Just thinking, that's all." He smiled, kissing the top of my head, "About what?"

My skin was pressed to his bare chest and nothing had ever felt better.

"About how much I love you."

That was a shock. I mean, he always says I love you but he actually admitted to thinking about it!

"Pax." I gushed. "I just mean, you're finally mine. You can't slip out of my fingertips or leave me without saying goodbye. You're finally mine forever."

I felt tears behind my eyes but I blinked them away, "I love you so much it's addicting. I can't get enough of you!"

"Oh really? Tell me how much you love me." Paxton smirked, winking at me as his hands gripped my waist.

* * *

I served up dinner that night. A little soup. Made of beans and other leftover stuff.

It's the first dinner we'll have as a 'family'. At the dinner table. It took me a while to navigate this house. Find where things go.

But, I did discover a wine cabinet.

"We made it guys."

* * *

*cue the crying*