XXIX: Into the Deep

I used to think twice before I moved my hands to the pieces of the chessboard that I've been playing for so long. Currently, There's this devoided emotions consuming my whole being. I have been fuck up real bad, but regardless to that I know how I got messed up this badly, I miss the part where I should have been more wiser, before I move my chess pieces.

Perhaps, It couldn't change eveything that is done. By now, It's a fucking checkmate. And I am sure that my dear, Aunt would've been very unhappy and not pleased of finding out that her only key to succession was dying in the middle of the sea.

Hindi ko alam kung ilang minuto na ang nakalipas ng mahulog ako sa kailaliman ng karagatan. The expanse of the blue water was calming my both, tragic experiences and wounded physique. I felt so happy by just seeing the tiny flicker of blurry lights from the depth of the salt water. Nanatili akong nakatulala at buong pusong nagpapaubaya sa malawak na karagatan. The ocean felt like hypnotizing me in different level.

Ngunit, muli akong natauhan ng makaramdam ng mahihinang pagkurot sa aking mga daliri. As my eyes landed on the blood that was mixing into the salt water.. It was coming from a certain person that a marine orbs belongs. His eyes was deadly beautiful and compatible to the ocean's menace. His eyes there were drowsiness and there's dullness that I couldn't even look at..

Nanghihina man ay nagpatuloy akong lumangoy patungo sa kanyang kinaroroonan. Hindi alintana ang kirot sa aking tiyan at pamamanhid ng aking mga balikat.

When I reached him he firmly hold my fingers and whispered something beneath the water that I couldn't understand.

And then, the water begun to vibrate.

Sunod-sunod ang pagtama sa tubig ng matatalim at pamatay na mga bala. I ducked to him and dive away, Mistulang nagkaroon ng sariling buhay ang aking mga paa at mga kamay na lumalangoy palayo para sa aming buhay.

Nang i-angat ko ang aking ulo ay nakita ko ang pagandar ng yate at nagsisimula na itong lumayo. Muli akong suminghap ng hangin upang tangayin ang lalaking aking tangan patungo sa malapit na dalampasigan. Nang lumusong muli ako patungo sa dalampasigan ay humampas ang malalakas na alon, It is like the waves was not allowing us to breath and escape to it's deadly depths. Mabilis akong gumalaw upang hilahin siya muling pataas.

"Mr. Echavarri!! wake up, please.. Open your fucking eyes.." I screamed but he was cold as ice.

He was as pale as the ocean's waves.. Unmoving, his lips were dull. Panic began to overtook me. I twitched his fingers lightly, the way he twitched it a while ago. But he remained unmoving. Slowly, the oceans turns quiet.. The waves became smooth and reserved. Like it was bounded to be tranquil as the precious blood of the Mafia Boss was mixing into it's endless beautiful sedate.

His eyes were close and his mouth was as dull as violet. He was so handsome, His marine eyes were now concealed by it's prosy lashes. His face was beautiful contemplating with the ocean. At that moment.. It felt like he somewhat enjoyed the serenity that the ocean brings. He was so full of suprises. And now, He suprise me in the most terrifying way.

"Please, open your eyes.. There are people that is waiting for us right? Those people in that mansion! Your son? What about him? He is waiting for you!!" I shouted as I've felt the warm liquid that directly departed into my cheeks.

I was crying softly while whispering things that could pulled him back into consciousness. But none of them let him, I held the back of his head from the water.. to keep him still from floating away.

When I reached it I felt the cold crimson liquid that was mixing in the water.. I felt my heart tormenting in pain that struck me in the middle of this nowhere. My eyes became more worst, It felt so hard to breath than normal. It is terrifying to see that somewhat I feel like I am worthless for saving.

"Please! Don't gave in.. Please breathe, Sir.. sir.."

I was begging.. I am begging to the oceans. Into the deep of the calm serene salt water. I am begging to sun that is rising into the blue horizon.. I am begging for someone to save him.. To bring him back..

"Please.." I hoarsely whispered into the wind..

But, no matter how I tried to beg and wake him up. He just wouldn't breathe. When a bigger wave splashed againts us, I forgot how to swam.. Now, my tears refused to fall. The weight on my heart was to much to handle..

Mahigpit kong niyakap sa aking braso ang katawan ni Miguel Echavarri, Hinalikan ko siya sa noo at saka ko ipinikit ang aking mata.

"Sleep peacefully.. Mr. Echavarri."

And then, I let the depth of the crystal blue ocean swallows us.. It was to serene and too peaceful, the things that I currently need right now..

As the beautiful marine sea swallowed us, for a minute I felt the relentless quietude that is hovering towards my consciousness.

Everything seems black as I felt a painful trust followed by warm air filling up my dried lungs. Another trust in my chest came and an uncontrollable cough rise through me. And then, it was followed by the gushing out saltwater from my mouth. I felt a warm hand on my cheek..

I tried to open my eyes after I calmed down, but my eyes refuse to see the person who is leaving behind. I saw the blurry figure look back to my direction and stopped.

"You are lucky.. I was not fond of saving someone. The day will come that I will charge you for your damages.." A baritone voice said.

I frowned, when a distant sound of the police siren reached my ears. I wanted to shut the world out and just lay where I was right now—I felt so coward and unworthy.

I decided to open my eyes again. This time, It was a clear vision of the sunlight. The wind from the breeze of the most unfortunate christmas season I ever had is coldness and trembling trauma. It made me think of something that I usually wish for this special moment, To feel the warmth of holiday.

I tried to look around and search for the person who saved me earlier. But no one was there, Until coldness crept up inside me when my eyes landed in the body lying few yards away from me.

That is when everything that happen came back to me like a rushing deep breath. It was more clearer. I tried to stand but all I could only move was my fingers. I felt weak and dizzy and in so much sorrowful pain and my chest is tormenting, throbbing like a curse that is breaking me little by little.

I wanted to runaway. But my heart sank as I saw the body of my saviour. I wanted to run to him and cover his body with everything possible. It was unforgiving to see the person who saved you lying againts the cold pavement. Unmoving and Lifeless.

Tears began to pooled my eyes, Naramdaman akong muli ang labis na pagkahilo at unti-unting naging malabo ang aking paningin. Gayundin ang paglapit ng mga yabag na hindi ko na inalintana pa.

Mas masakit ang bawat pintig ng aking puso na tila nagpapahirap sa aking baga at nagtutulak upang pahirapan ang aking paghinga. Tila nagkakaisa ang mga ito upang ibalik ako sa kadiliman at kawalan, hinihila ako palayo sa kasalukuyang reyalidad.

Iilang saglit pa ay napuno ang lugar ng mga hindi pamilyar na boses at mga ingay, hindi ko alam kung qno ang mga sumunod na nangyari ngunit muli akong pinapawan ng ulirat at malay.