chapter 23~Cole's mother

The geography teacher had completed the explanation of his lecture but insisted on recounting the details despite the certitude that everyone who cared to understand, understood already.

I tuned out of her droning and took to playing games underneath my desk. I was about to conclude level 181 of candy crush when a text notification reflected on my screen. It was from cole, I peeped at him and our eyes collided. He sent me an abrupt wink and i looked away uncertain of what he wanted.

Private number: what a naughty girl?

Private number: on your phone while the lecturer is in class?

Me: you're on your phone too

I thwarted the rising urge to shake my head.

Private number:lol

Private number: once this class is over, let's head for my mom's.

Me: with uniforms on?

I typed incredulously

Private number: yes, I've called an Uber. He'll be there exactly on time.

This was just lovely, I'd be meeting his mom for the first time in a sweaty uniform.

Private number: side note though, my mom can be a bit, I dunno what word would be better to use

Private number: eccentric? Weird? Quirky? Outlandish? Unconventional?

Me: weird like she has twelve cat and ten dogs and a collection of various off things?

Private number: no, when you meet her, you'll get a clearer picture of what I mean

Me: okay

I sighed wearily at that, wondering exactly what the heck I'd gotten myself into.

On hearing the ring of the final bell, students briskly cleared their desks, picked up their bags and commenced making their way out of class and into the hallway either alone or with friends who they chattered happily with.

Cole made his way over to me, wrapped his arms around my shoulder and tugged me gently towards the doorway earning us a few considering glances much to my consternation.

We were in close proximity to the staircase when i felt a friendly pat on my back. I turned around, it was Rissa. The smile that lit up my face was dim in comparison to the one she was projecting at me.

"You're harder to find than a lost piece of earring" she stated

"Blame it on differences in schedule" I retorted

"True, true. So are you two dating?"  She looked from me to Cole

"No, we aren't" I replied with the swiftness of an eagle swooping down to devour it's prey, Cole chuckled at that.

"You two look really marvelous together and besides that's not what the rumors are saying, not that I'm a rumor monger or I sit with people who spread rumors or anything. One just tends to over hear these things" she rushed to reassure

"Rumors, what rumors?" I interrogated suspicion throbbing deeply in my veins.

"A substantial amount of people think you're both dating and they're talking about it. There's been nothing else to talk about since Bonnie dropped out of school due to her pregnancy and her lover denied the pregnancy claiming that if she spread her legs easily for him, she had probably spread it easily for other guys. I always knew that guy was an opportunist and a user and his mother also. . ." She ranted