Chapter 33: Excalibur

When Erin arrived at the club room the next day, she felt a tense atmosphere surrounding the group. The awkwardness was primarily focused on Kiba and the Goddess grew confused on this.

" Rias."

" Hmm?"

" Did you guys get into a fight or something?"

" Why do you ask?"

" I don't know." The Goddess couldn't pin point the exact feeling. "There's this awkward atmosphere but I can't really explain it."

Rias sighed and decided to narrate the past events.

" When we were fighting the stray devil yesterday, Kiba was out of focus. I was upset by his actions since he could have died and endangered the group."

" Buchou slapped Kiba." Issei informed the Goddess in a low tone after he overheard their talk.

" You what?!" Erin was visibly surprised. " Is your fight that bad that it led to you slapping him?"

" Things kind of escalated and well.. it led to that."

" Do you know what could have made him react that way?" asked the Goddess curiously. Rias pondered on the question and when he saw the blonde knight leave the room, she decided to reveal the story to the new members.

" I'm certain it has something to do with his past."

" Kiba-san's past?" Asia butted in.

" Hai. When I met Yuuto, he was practically fighting for his life.. trying to run away from something."

Erissei and Asia listened intently as they waited for Rias to talk.

"Yuuto was part of an experiment called the Holy Sword Project. It was an experiment conducted under the church to discover individuals who have the capability to wield the Excalibur."

" Excalibur?" Issei wondered.

" Excalibur is a sword and is a Holy weapon that was created through means of magic and alchemy by those who reached the territory of God." Rias continued. "And wielding the sword requires the individual to have immense light properties in their body so basically, it is difficult to find people who are able to wield such weapon."

" That must be the reason why Kiba grew tense the other day." The Goddess thought. " He must have caught sight of a sword which made him remember the Excalibur."

" And under orders from someone, the children involved in the Holy Sword Project that were deemed unsuccessful, is to be killed mercilessly."

Asia gasped at the revelation same as Issei who was shocked.

"Then that means...."

"Hai. Yuuto is a survivor of that incident and the only known individual who went out alive from that project."

" Those.. Those bastards! How could they do it to those children!" Issei exclaimed in anger.

" I encountered Yuuto on the day of that incident and he was near his death. I gave him a chance to live by reincarnating him as a devil of my peerage. Since then, he vowed to take revenge to the people involved with the massacre."

"{ That's the feeling of revenge we felt on that day, my child.}" Voltaire said, remembering the glimmer of hatred in Kiba's eyes.

" That is unacceptable! I never knew that Kiba has such a tragic past and only viewed him as an annoying pretty boy. I'm such an idiot!" scolded Issei to himself.

Erin suddenly felt an approaching presence and she was on alert.

" Erin, what's wrong?"

"There are guests approaching the club room." She replied to the red head.