Chapter 70: Koneko's Past

After their training with Tannin, Erissei headed to the Gremory Estate where the other members already gathered.

" Erin, what happened to you two?" asked Rias with a slight gasp as she observed their state.

The Goddess was helping a limping Issei with the boy's arm slung over her shoulder. Their clothes were tattered leaving little to cover their appearance.

" Tannin." was all the two answered causing Azazel to laugh.

" That old Dragon King really meant his words when he said he would have fun training you."

" Wow. Our training was rough but I guess you two had it worst." Kiba commented sheepishly.

" It seems that both of your endurance have increased drastically." Azazel commented to Erissei. " However, Issei still didn't manage to pull out his Balance Breaker."

" Yeah. It appears so." answered the boy sheepishly.

" We heard from Tannin that Koneko-chan fainted during her training. Was that true?" Erin asked in slight worry.

" Yes. That girl over-exerted her strength and increased the workload of the training routine I set up for her."

Akeno returned after visiting Koneko and the red head asked her.

" How is she right now?"

" She's fine, Buchou. Asia healed her earlier and she only needed to recover for the meantime."

The Goddess suddenly remembered the time where she joined Koneko on her training. The Mascot girl was too hard on herself and stayed up late instead of resting.

" Tonight, representatives from various clans will gather for a reception." Azazel stood up from his seat. " I'll head there first. You have to be prepared as well."

The members were slightly surprised but nodded afterwards.

" We're going to attend such event?" Asia remarked in surprise.

" Not only us. While Onii-sama have us attend to act us guards while they meet the guest, it's also for deepening the relationships among the young devil leaders."

" As devils under the house of Gremory, we can't do anything embarassing." Kiba said in determination.

" Can we not attend, please?" Erin said sweetly and Issei eagerly nodded. The boy was slightly nervous and was hoping to avoid the event while Erin wanted to take a break from their intense training with Tannin.

Rias shook her head NO and the two were in low spirits.

" This event is important. And Erin, Onii-sama stressed that I shall bring you at all costs. He said that your presence may help in terms of meeting the guest."

Erin silently whined and Issei accepted their fate.

" I understand. But young devils from clans, huh? I guess even their servants are strong."

" Don't be discouraged, Issei. I believe that all of you will get stronger." Rias replied.

The red head excused them for the meantime and the members went off on their own.

The Goddess went to the baths and had a new change of clothes. She met up with Azusa and Tsubaki along the way where the twins discussed their plans.

" Master, we'll be using this opportunity to continue finding for Master Hades."

" Yes. We would catch up on the venue for tonight's meeting."

" All right. Keep safe you two."

The twins nodded and walked off. Erin decided to check up on Koneko and when she was nearing her room, she saw Rias came out from the place.

" How is Koneko-chan?"

" She's fine now. I advised her to avoid these situations in the future." sighed Rias.

" It seems that Koneko-chan has been facing issues on her own."

" Yes. She confessed that she feels like she is the weakest out of all us despite being the rook of the peerage."

Erin pondered on those words and voiced her suspicion.

" I had my doubts but I'm sensing that she is trying to avoid something. I can sense her aura.. She has the blood of a nekomata, correct?"

Rias nodded at this and the two started walking where the red head narrated Koneko's past.

" A long time ago, there were 2 Nekomata sisters. After losing their parents and home, the two were always together. They depended on one another and lived as best as they could."

Erin listened silently and Rias continued talking.

"One day, both cats were picked up by a devil. Eventually, the older sister became part of that devil's family and she was able to live a good life. But after turning into a devil, her hidden power began to overflow."

"I guess this is the part Koneko fears." Erin thought.

"Unable to control her power, she killed her master and disappeared. She became a dangerous stray and decimated an entire pursuit force. Worried that she might go berserk like her older sister, the devils tried to dispose of the younger one."

"But Onii-sama, under the condition of watching over her, took her in. He passed her to me so I can teach her how to laugh again and enjoy life. So.. I gave that girl a name."

" Which in present, is Koneko-chan." Erin continued and on cue, the mascot girl made her appearance.

" Koneko, is it okay for you to be awake?"

"I'm fine, Buchou. I'm sorry for worrying you." Rias nodded at this then turned back to Erin.

"Koneko is a survivor of the most powerful Nekoshou clan." the red head placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. "She is a descendant of the top-class spirits that mastered the sage arts."

Erin noticed Koneko's conflicted expression. She gave the girl a head pat making the latter look at her in surprise.

"Senpai?"

"I know you are trying your best to face your own power and very existence.  And it can be scary too. However, I want you to know that we are here to support you and help you in any way we can." finished Erin with a smile.

Koneko's worries were eased a little as she gave a small smile in return.

" Arigatou, senpai."

- End of Chapter -