One

The storm raged outside, the thunder roared with vengeance with the harsh, monstrous wind shaking the windows. The candlelight flickered, giving a dim glow around the room.
She felt so alone.

The ones on the bed would forever burn in Elise's memories. Their dull eyes were filled with uncontrollable tears. They looked so lifeless, so frightened, as they stared up at her like they were expecting something, like she held all the answers.

And Elise wished that she had one.

One good answer.

One known reason.

One encouragement.

Unfortunately, she didn't have those.

What should she do in this situation? Should she even do something? She should do something other than doing nothing!

She didn't even have the strength to open her mouth to say what she'd been wanting to say. She wanted to thank them for everything, to apologize for everything, wanted to comfort them, to make them feel relaxed.

But she didn't.

That's how stupid and afraid she was.

She didn't open her mouth, didn't give them something to hold onto, something, anything to help ease their fears.

All she could do was let her fears devour her whole, all she could do was watch, all she could do was hold their hands as her own tears fell while silently praying for them to not disappear. To not leave her alone. To not go.

But the little girl watched them go. And she wished she hadn't because the regret she felt was tremendous. She watched as their eyes, the only one who held some sort of warmth, slowly disappear. Like a flame slowly placed to rest.

And then, they were no more.

And her own sorrowful scream resonated throughout the hallways of their home.

It was her fault.

The guilt worked fast, her entire body shook with so many emotions as she wailed, unable to stop herself from doing so.

All she could do was cry like an utter child. How stupid was that, right?

The grief was evident as the skies cried louder for her.

____

A soft, warm blanket, a smooth, silky sheet, a large, gentle bed, a pillow that could be worth thousands of gold and an unfamiliar ceiling.

The moon's gentle light cascaded down the large windows as Elise slowly opened her eyes.

Her whole body was heavy with fatigue and her throat felt hoarse and dry. Elise would've gone back to sleep and just would've stayed asleep forever if it weren't for the unfamiliar things that surrounded her.

Where was she?

Well, at least she wasn't dead, that much was obvious.

Elise slowly sat up and her breath hitched when she saw the room. There were large windows with majestic red and golden drapes over it and the room had its own parlor. Bookshelves were situated at the right side of the room with unknown books that gave a little spark to Elise's curiosity. Every last detail of the room screams money and power and Elise was slightly afraid of how everything costs.

Everything was simply breathtaking.

And yet, so unfamiliar.

Holy shit.