Three

"Yes, welcome to the- Wait, what?"

"Oh, now who's the deaf one here?"

Elise just stared at Marielle like she had finally become crazy. Well, to be honest, the lady's got some lose screws so Elise still doesn't know why she still gives the woman the benefit of the doubt

And why she's still bothering to talk to her.

Marielle saw the look on her face and snorted. "You should see the look on your face. It's like you've seen a naked ghost dancing on its own grave."

A naked ghost?

Dancing?

See? The woman was losing it! How could she say such things like that?

Suddenly, the thought of seeing a naked ghost running around, dancing, sounded more lovely than hearing a stranger utter the word family.

That word meant nothing to her now. The meaning of it sounded useless and hallow. Family? She has no family. So, imagine Elise's surprise when Marielle said those words.

The little girl would gladly stare at a naked ghost's sagging butt while its dancing for hours on its pitiful grave than be suspiciously welcomed like this.

"No, all I'm seeing is a crazy lady who just said something stupidly crazy." Elise blurted out.

Marielle laughed at Elise's response. Really. This little girl was freaking hilarious. She wasn't even frightened at her situation. She didn't scream, beg or cry like Marielle thought she would. She just looked bored and tired. Marielle could live with Elise if she were going to make her day this interesting.

"Isn't that too much?" Marielle asked amusingly while crossing her arms.

Elise groaned in frustration, feeling way worse than before. Her whole body was shouting at her to rest. Why can't they just let her sleep?

"What's really going on?" Elise said in exhaustion. She couldn't even keep up with her amazing remarks anymore. She just wants some answers. "What do you mean family?"

Marielle, seeing how Elise looked, sobered up quickly. Her amusement died down before focusing on the topic at hand.

"My mother saw you." Marielle's tone changed, it turned monotonous, void of any kind of emotions. Elise had wished for that kind of ability, had wanted to be able to change yourself in a matter of seconds like Marielle did.

"She was the one who saved you, the one who took you here."

Elise grimaced immediately.

As much as the little girl was thankful, it didn't sit right with her that the mother wasn't there to tend to Elise herself.

She's got questions that she couldn't ask Marielle.

Meanwhile, Marielle wondered why the little girl made such a face. It's as if she were solving a mystery. Well, the little girl was an enigma. Who knows what's going on in that little head of hers.

And weird too.

After a moment, Elise composed herself and nodded. "Offer her my thanks then." Elise answered nonchalantly, making Marielle confused.

Why was this child such a pain to understand?

"You don't want to meet her?"

Elise shook her head with an enigmatic smile painted on her face this time.

Marielle wondered who this kid really was. What kind of environment did she grow up in to have such a fearless attitude? What the hell happened to her before she went into the forest? Why was she such a perplexing child? Those question immediately entered her mind before Marielle could even stop herself. She was getting more and more curious as she gets to talk to Elise.