Chapter 20 Into the Town

A gentle nudge woke me up from my slumber. I opened my eyes and winced at the sunlight that beamed in my eyes. I moved a hand to cover my eyes from the harsh light and turned away. I sat up slowly as I became more awake. I turned to meet Lou's bright smile and mischievous eyes that glinted with the sun.

"Morning, love. Ready for today?" He smiled and I smiled back as I remembered what we had in stored for all of us today. I was excited to go into town after awhile even though the town was filled with bad memories and bad people but today was a school day and I'm sure my mum wouldn't be out of the house all day anyway.

With Louis's help, I stood up and brushed as mush of the dirt and leaves off of me and turned to the lads who were doing the same as they brushed it off their jeans they wore and shirts they put on.

"You guys ready?" I jumped in excitement. They chuckled at me but nodded nonetheless.

"Yeah, I'm buzzing. For all of us, it's been awhile since we've been in town," Niall chirped and jumped in excitement with me.

"I'll show you guys around! It'll be fun!" With that I turned towards the edge of the woods. The lads followed behind me, their feet crunching through the earth. As I neared the edge, I poked my head out to meet a sidewalk near a neighborhood.

I looked around to make sure no people would see me or the lads walk out from the woods before stepping out into the public. The lads followed me and I started walk as I remembered where we were.

This was my old neighborhood.

I saw a street sign in front of us and I jogged over to read it. We were on the street next to mine. Then an idea popped in my mind.

"Guys!" I turned to meet the lads and saw them looking around at the houses and street as people started to appear, walking out of houses or walking down the sidewalks.

"I have an idea. Let's go to the park!" Their eyes filled with confusion. I laughed at them as they all looked like lost puppies.

"Just follow me." They nodded.

"Alright, Haz. Lead the way," Niall skipped after me as I started to lead them to the park that was at the end of this street that led to my street.

It wasn't a long walk and we made there quickly, just making small talk as the boys pointed out things that were new, different or interesting to them as they described everything around them in awe.

I smiled because I knew that they probably felt so free now in this moment being here in the town that they couldn't venture into for long.

The park came into view and I smiled wider as sweet memories of my younger, happier self popped in my head.

"This way guys," I motioned them to follow me as I quickly made my way into the park where trees, benches and a playground crowded the park area.

I stopped just outside the park area and looked around. There weren't many people in the park so me and the lads could do pretty much anything. I turned to the lads and they were looking around the park too.

"Go explore!" I chirped at them. Niall didn't waste time to push me to the side and disappear in the park, his laugher following him like a trail. Zayn and Liam ran after him.

"Don't do anything stupid, Niall!" Liam shouted after him, his voice following him and Zayn as the ran. I laughed at them as they ran through the park straight to the seesaw where Niall was riding it with concentration.

I turned back to Louis to see him already staring at me with a fond smile. I held out my hand for him to take and he did, sending warm tingles through my arm.