43.

Chapter 43 | Christmas tree

Isabella:

Why didn't you tell me that you and Lucas are dating," my abuela asks casually as the two of us stroll into the kitchen a few minutes later. Her tone is in inquisitive, not harsh, but the way she is chopping the onions with more vigour and force than necessary tells me she's annoyed.

Lucas and I share a look from the opposite ends of the kitchen island where we're stood frozen.

"Erm-" I begin, racking my brain for a way to tell my grandmother that we're not actually dating.

However, before I even get to open my mouth to speak again, my abuela swiftly interjects.

"Oh whatever," she says enthusiastically, a grin playing in her lips, placing the knife down on the cutting board and quickly rinsing her hands. She slides over to where Lucas is, her arms outstretched, before tugging him into her embrace before dragging herself over to me and pulling me into the awkward three way hug. "I'm so glad you two finally came to your senses, I always knew that you two would end up togethe-"

"Abuela!" I cut her off, my voice coming out in a muffle from the way my head is pressed against her shoulder. Lucas hasn't made a sound since my grandmother pulled him into the embrace - he's probably dead from suffocation. "You've got the wrong idea-"

"Abuela, Bella and I, er, aren't dating," a deep voice continues for me and I finally see Lucas' tall body twitch as he tries to wriggle out of my grandma's arms. Okay...maybe he hasn't died from suffocation then.

Dammit.

I feel my grandmother freeze. "What? But your mom just called me-"

"My mom...for some odd reason...thinks Isabella and I are dating and I didn't have the chance to tell her we're not," he explains, cutting her off. His black t-shirt is a little rumpled from my grandmothers attack and his hair a little messy too.

My grandmothers face falls and she finally releases me from her tight grasp. "Why would she think that?"

"Er well-"

"OH, it's because she saw you guys kissing didn't she."

I'm about to nod my head when my brain finally registers what my grandmother had just said.

"What?" I gasp, my mouth falling open in shock whilst Lucas' eyebrows raise so high I'm surprised they don't fly off of his forehead.

At our stunned expressions my grandmother waves her hand dismissively. "I saw you guys from the window yesterday."

Oh hell to the no.

I flame with absolute mortification. "Abuela you...saw us?"

She nods her head enthusiastically, her eyes twinkling and her face glowing with absolute glee.

She saw us kissing...she saw us kissing with Lucas' hand up my dress. SHE SAW THAT?

"Fucking hell," Lucas groans, running a hand down his face, his cheeks tinged red. "Please erase that from your memory abuela please."

"No, this is a memory I was to tell my great-grand kids!"

"That you saw Lucas and I making out with his hands groping my ASS CHEEKS?" I cry with shake my head before smacking my forehead against the edge of the counter. Had the entire universe been watching us for fucks sake?

As I raise my head up from the counter, rubbing the part I had just repeatedly hit, my eyes lock with Lucas and annoyance floods through me. I point a finger at him menacingly.