(Akabane Karma) Duke's Madness

Requested by: SaraTatiana5
Hope you'll like it! Enjoy!

Warnings: Possessive and obsessive behaviors, threat, and manipulation. If you're not quite comfortable with the aforementioned warnings, then we kindly suggest for you to read the other chapters that you're fine with, if it's still not suitable for you, then you could also leave this book, but we thank you for giving time and checking this book out. For those who decided to venture further in reading, we hope you enjoy it!

-----------------------------------------------------------

The soft rustling of the papers being swiped across the wooden desk echoed throughout the quiet room that was being lit up with a single candle that was away from the burned papers. Eyes scanning through the details written on the papers with the help of the moonlight shining through the glass window that made it easier to read through. The flame of the candle flickering to a simple dance, moving to and fro rarely from the air that was a result with your movements of scattering the papers. Your gaze was soon pinned at the single word that was always present on each paper, written in capital letters as you sense the urgency and worry of the families who had been reporting the absence of their loved ones on such a word, namely missing.

That was the common factor of the different names and other information of the women that were being shown on each of the papers. Your brooding of your current investigation of the missing women was stopped when you heard the door suddenly opening, relaxing once seeing that it was just a friend of yours. His usual pale golden eyes that was mixed with a hint of brown seemed to look golden under the lantern that he's carrying to light his way as he navigated your abode and reached towards your room, seeming to be finally done with the task that you had requested for him to do when he had just waltzed into your house with having the knowledge on how to make an entrance of it.

"Good evening, Y/N. Karasuma-san was done with upgrading your dagger, telling me that it might be enough to fight off the person who's behind this mess. Do you have a lead about who might the suspect be? Do you really think that the women are still... alive?" Isogai greeted before asking, hesitating with the last question as he hands you the sheath where your trusted dagger is being contained.

You nod, eyes gleaming as determination coursed through your veins while gazing at the glimmering metal on your palm as you respond. "I have a lead, Isogai. I don't think that the women are still alive since I know that they still are. I can feel it. Tomorrow evening, it's time for me end the Duke's madness once and for all."

"The Duke?! He... He's the one behind all of this?! Why would you think so?" Isogai asks in disbelief as he thinks how a high ranked noble such as the duke could be behind such a crime would be quite impossible.

Your reasoning soon started to crumble his opinion as you answered. "It was quite simple, really. The women might have disappeared in different places and time, but there's a similarity of the said factors. Before their disappearance, all of them not at the same time, though, had attended the Duke's ball beforehand. Those who attend the said ball are all women at a certain age and with any title as long as they want to attend, they have the freedom to do so. The remaining questions are, how could he possibly do such a thing and where are the women being kept?"

"You could only know that when you will attend the ball yourself... Wait a minute, don't tell me you'll attend a ball that will be conducted by the Duke?!" Isogai asked in surprise, his protective nature that is compared to a brother's care starts to kick in after knowing the danger that you will put yourself through just to end this.

You give a reassuring smile to him, carefully taking out the dagger out of its sheath before letting the handle be twirled around your fingers before you let it launch towards a paper that you had pasted on the wooden board plastered on your wall. The tip of the blade easily stabbed the image of the said Duke straight on his face as the shadow of the dagger partially blocked it, casting darkness on his handsome face.