|51| Pre-Game Feast

Ben's P.O.V. (D7)

Wow, there is a lot of food here. There's about ten times as much as we had on our District 7 floor!

I don't even know where to begin. I take the biggest plate they have and stack lots of meat on it. One last minute bulk can't hurt. And, because I can't help myself, I grab a steaming hot bowl of creamy carrot soup.

I'm surprised my escort and mentor even let me come to this feast since I'm still sick. I was given some sort of "miracle" Capitol medicine, but it doesn't seem to be working very well.

I find a seat next to Levi and Winter. I immediately chug down the soup, enjoying the foreign rich and flavorful taste. I then pour myself a glass of cold ice water, but strangely enough, I find it difficult to lift the pitcher. Somehow I manage, but I end up pouring too much because it overflows onto the the table. Glancing around to make sure no one saw it, I try to cover it up with my plate.

As Levi and Winter are engaged in their own conversation, I can't help but feel a bit faint. I thought they said my fever would cool down? I drink the water in one large gulp, but it doesn't cool me down in the slightest. My forehead begins to burn and my heart rate picks up. What's going on?

"Tributes!" I hear President Snow speak from his balcony. "This is the last night you have until you enter the games. I wish you all the best of luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" He raises his glass, as do the other tributes.

I shakily raise my empty glass and avoid contact with anybody, especially Levi. Luckily for me, he's busy eating and laughing.

I sigh, beginning to feel extremely unpleasant. I hope I'll be better before the games tomorrow.