|33| Reaping D9

Skylar's P.O.V.

I can't move out of bed. Literally. I'm scared to death.

This will be the first year with my name in the bowl for the hunger games. And, it just so happens to be for the fourth annual quarter quell.

Last week was my birthday. It was the worst birthday ever. My parents did everything they could do to make it special, but nothing worked. I knew that once I turned twelve, I wouldn't be the same. The hunger games horrify me.

Death always seems to run in my family, and I'm scared I'll be next.

My great grandpa died in one of the earlier hunger games. My grandma's sister died in the 45nd. My uncle died in the 78th. I never met him. And last but not least, my cousin died in the 91st. I was still young, but I remember every detail of his death.

He was in the top five and I was so sure that he would win and come home. Sadly, he fell in love with the girl from District 2. He was so helplessly in love that he couldn't kill her. When he hugged her, she stabbed him in the back. Then the arms. Then the stomach. She just kept stabbing him even after his cannon went off.

I just can't help but feel like I'll be next.

Not to mention, I have a heart defect. Because of it, I have the body of a ten year old and have the looks of a child.

I put on my favorite sundress and white sandals. I don't really know how to fix my hair, so I put it in a braid. I put on my favorite headband over my head and put a pin in it to make sure it won't slip off. Once I'm properly dressed and ready, I shakily make my way downstairs for breakfast.

When I see my parents, I give them a weak smile. I get myself some water and sit down, taking deep breaths. My mom comes over to me and rubs my back.

"Honey, no matter what happens out there, whether you get chosen or not, I'll be wishing you luck." I hug my mom tightly and she hugs back.

"Hey baby, I got you something." she says.

I'm confused at first, but then I immediately recognize what she's giving me when I see it. She's giving me my cousins favorite bracelet. The one who died in the games nine years ago. My eyes almost pop out of my head looking at it.

"H-how'd you get it? I thought he brought it into the games with him?" I ask her.

She shook her head. "Before he boarded the train, it must've slipped from his wrist or something because a peacekeeper brought it to your aunt. She's kept it ever since and she wanted to give it to you for your birthday, but—" She pauses because we both know what happened to her, what's still happening to her.

"Anyways, when I visited her at the hospital, she told me to give it to you before the reaping. As a good luck charm. So, that I did."

I put it around my wrist and hold onto it, refusing to let it slip off.

↞↠

Astrid's P.O.V.

"Alec, stop it." I hiss at my brother.

"Not until you give me back my money." he growls at me. I groan in frustration. He's unbelievable.

"Alec, for the last time, I don't have your money! It probably got stolen in the workshop."

Alec is my nineteen year old brother. We don't necessarily have a great relationship. Apparently, he disliked me ever since I was born. He always said that our parents ignored him because I was the baby of the family, which is wrong. My parents favor him because he makes all the money. I'm the one who gets ignored.