Patronizing Pam

**Flashback**

"Are you gonna eat that?" a boy of around the age of maybe ten asked Brady.

Brady who was sitting on the windowsill, with his knees to his chest and staring at the raindrops hit the glass glanced at him but didn't answer.

The boy took it as a no and grabbed the brown bread peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He took a bite and after chewing he spoke again.

"I'm Kevin by the way. What's your name?" he asked Brady.

"Brady." Brady answered after a long moment.

"You're new here too?" Kevin asked.

Brady nodded.

"Yeah me too. My parents died when I was five and the last two relatives that took me in got sick of me before I could even finish a school semester." Kevin said with a small chuckle.

"Must've been difficult." Brady replied.

"I don't really remember them much, I only remember a vague memory of my mom singing me to sleep while she held me." he said and Brady fell pity for him.

"Hello Brady."

Brady had an array of emotions running through him as he looked at the woman standing in front of him.

For a split second a memory of him sitting at the kitchen table and sharing a glass of milk with his mother appeared in his mind and that softened him but just as quickly that memory faded and was replaced with him reading a letter she left him and him literally begging to not be separated from his sister.

All those bitter memories of him growing up surpassed the very few good memories he had of his mother and the array of emotions he felt a few seconds ago was replaced with one prominent one; anger.

"What do you want here?" he asked coldly.

Pam who was standing in the doorway wearing an expensive coat and a huge diamond ring on her finger, took in a shaky breath and tried to keep it together as she looked at Brady, but failing to look him in the eye.

"May I please come in?" she requested.

"Why?" Brady questioned.

"I would like to talk to you, please?" Pam almost pleaded.

"I have nothing to say to you." He told her. "Don't worry, your bratty son didn't do anything to upset me so you don't need to worry and you sure as hell didn't need to come all the way out here for such a petty matter."

Pam frowned. "You think I came here for Lukas?"

Brady feigned innocence. "What other reason could you possibly have?"

"Brady, do you not recognize me?" she asked desperately.

Brady looked at her nonchalantly. "Of course I do, you're Lukas's mother. Or shall I say the woman who failed to instill good manners in him."

"Just Lukas's mother?" Pam asked with a hint of hurt coating her voice.

Brady looked at her for a long while without any emotion evident on his face. "What else?"

"Brady." Amelia's voice called from inside. "Who's there?"

Amelia walked to the door and her eyes automatically widened as she looked at Pam standing at the Ryland residence front door threshold.