Chapter 5

March 2014

The girls had waited in the car when a member of Taylor’s security team went into the lobby of the luxurious five star hotel within ocean view of Avila Beach. The two had decided to treat themselves to one glamorous night in a high end hotel the first night, before spending nights in considerably modest hotels and inns for the rest of their travels. They were anxious to get into their room, partly due to the exhaustion they were beginning to feel from their day. 

“I just want to take a nap,” Taylor groaned, leaning her head back against the passenger seat. 

“We’ll have the key soon,” Karlie says softly, however staring intently at the doors of the hotel, feeling as anxious as Taylor to get settled.

“What are we going to do tonight?” Taylor asks, turning to look at Karlie.

“I don’t know, it’s up to you. We can check out the beach later but I don’t really want to do much. All that walking really added up,” Karlie says laughing.

“Oh, thank god,” Taylor says, seeing her body guard finally exit the hotel lobby. When the guard made his way to the car, Taylor lowered her window.

“We have the only two suites on the top floor of the hotel, we will be right across the hall from you, Ms. Swift. Check out is 10 tomorrow morning. There’s a back door that has access to a service elevator, if you’d like to avoid the lobby. It is the hotel’s off season, but it is the rush for dinner right now so the few families that are here are coming in and out of the lobby pretty frequently,” the guard explains.

“Okay, we can drive around back, I’m just pretty tired and antisocial right now,” Taylor replies.

“Of course. What are your own dinner plans? Would you like us to get you anything for the night and bring back here, or will we be going out?”

Taylor looks to Karlie, who only shrugs her shoulders. Taylor turns back to the window and replies, “I think we are just staying in tonight. Maybe just get us some movies, if you don’t mind? We will just get room service for dinner.”

“No problem. So just take a left out of this lot and follow along the wall of the hotel and take a right. There’s a smaller lot there as well. We will be following behind,” the guard says before walking back to his own vehicle.

Karlie puts the car back in drive, and begins slowly driving. “Such a covert operation,” Karlie laughs.

“Tell me about it,” Taylor scoffs.

“Don’t worry,” Karlie soothes, sensing Taylor’s frustration despite her attempt at banter.

“I’m just tired.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Wow,” Karlie says, walking in behind a guard carrying her own luggage.

The suite they have just walked into is marvelous. The entrance of the room was made up of glossy oak wood floors. Beyond that was pure white, wall to wall carpeting, with black multiple couches, a large television, and at the far end of the suite was large sliding door, doubling as a picture window, leading out to a balcony overlooking Avila beach.There was a staircase of fifteen steps, leading to a second level about half the size of the first floor, consisting of a large master bedroom and bathroom, and a smaller bedroom. There was a fireplace on both the first floor and the master bedroom.

Taylor’s team set all of the luggage down in the entrance of the room before leaving to their own room. Once they left, Taylor walked across the room, sliding the balcony door open and stepping outside, with Karlie following.