Chapter 30

July 6, 2014

Karlie hears her ringtone sounding as though from far away. It takes her a moment to realize it is indeed her iPhone ringing, as she lays on the bed somewhere between consciousness and sleep. She lifts her head from the pillow and reaches for the phone, squinting her eyes at the bright cell phone screen.

"Hey," Karlie answers, her voice sounding much unlike her usual tone, as she is still somewhere near sleep.

"Karlie!" Taylor exclaims, and immediately Karlie can tell Taylor has had quite a bit to drink tonight with her friends in Rhode Island.

"What time is it?" Karlie asks with a slight laugh, turning on the bedside lamp in the darkened room.

"Midnight!" Taylor replies, happily and enthusiastically.

Karlie takes the phone away from her ear to glance at the time. "Taylor! It's past 3 in the morning," Karlie says, shaking her head, amused by the version of her girlfriend she has on the phone right now.

"Oh!" Taylor replies, same enthusiasm present in her voice.

Karlie releases an extended sigh into the phone, smiling but still feeling the need to sleep for hours longer. "Taylor, I'm so tired," Karlie groans.

"Karlie! No! Stay up! It's so early!" Taylor whines.

Karlie groans. "Fine," she mutters, placing the phone on speaker mode so she can just place it on the pillow beside her. "Who are you with?" Karlie asks, yawning.

"Everyone is asleep now," Taylor replies.

"Oh really, why so early?" Karlie laughs, rolling her eyes.

"I don't know! That's what I said!" Taylor exclaims, sounding enthusiastically disappointed with her friends.

Karlie laughs mostly to herself, "Oh my god," imagining the entire scenario, knowing how Taylor can be when intoxicated.

"Karlie?" Taylor asks.

"Mhm," Karlie hums, closing her eyes, realizing she could very well fall asleep while on the phone.

"Are we still together?" Taylor asks, sounding unsure.

That's all Karlie needs to feel much more awake. "What? Yes, Taylor. Why would you ask me that?" Karlie asks, quietly and seriously.

"You didn't get back with Josh?" Taylor asks, perhaps a hint of surprise in her voice.

"Taylor, baby, no... I told you it was just to talk to him. I did it for us, so I wouldn't have—"

"So we're really together?" Taylor asks, unmistakable sounds of happiness lacing each word.

"Yes, we're really together. I didn't know you were going to be worried about that. I'm sorry, Taylor," Karlie replies.

"It's okay! Guess what we did yesterday?" Taylor asks, sounding cheerful once more, completely breezing past the subject.

"What?" Karlie asks, suppressing a laugh at Taylor's quick change of topic.

"Wait...was it yesterday? What is today? Does today count as yesterday or today?" Taylor asks, once more her tone changing very quickly to one of complete seriousness.

"Um.." Karlie begins, but quiets as she tries to work out what Taylor is asking with a confused smile on her face. "Taylor just go to sleep," Karlie laughs, giving up on thinking too deeply about what the inebriated Taylor has asked her.

"No! I need to tell you about the giant slip'n'slide!" Taylor exclaims.

"Okay, okay. What about it?" Karlie asks, shaking her head and rolling her eyes, feeling the minutes slip past and nearing closer to four in the morning.