Chapter 10.1

July 24, 2014

Karlie takes a deep and shaky breath when going up the stairs to Taylor's apartment. As she made her walk to her girlfriend's building, the reality of what she has just done because more and more pressing. More and more painful. She had blatantly manipulated Josh. She knew the man who was firm in his lasting love for her wouldn't say no, couldn't refuse Karlie of a favor. As if the word favor can even describe what I've done.

It was not only manipulative to him, but manipulative to anyone of the general public who would ever find themselves curious to see if Karlie has a boyfriend. They'd see his post and know. She had used Josh, she got him more entangled in a web that has already broken his heart.

In a blur, Karlie has climbed all the flights of stairs and lingers in the hallway of Taylor's apartment. This is getting more complicated by the day. She stands a few feet back from the door, staring at the mahogany swirls of it, wondering just what she is about to walk into now. No doubt Tree would be in there, especially if damage really has been done. They'd be plotting something, to erase any mistakes Taylor may have made. Surely a typical argument would occur between her and Taylor tonight, as seems to happen when Tree is around. Predictably, Karlie would surely feel even more stressed out than she does right now after the events of today. It has become the cycle, Karlie realizes. This is getting kind of old.

Karlie sighs and retrieves her key ring from her purse, ever so briefly wishing that things could be different. Very few people would be worth all of these complications, but Karlie knows that Taylor is definitely one of them. She was worth it.

Unlocking and pushing in the apartment door, Karlie is met with the familiar and welcome scent of Taylor's apartment, due to the various collection of candles the singer has. The living room is empty and looks peaceful, and it is so tempting to just sit on the couch now and just pretend that her and Taylor can have a night together similar to the one last night.

Tree steps into the room and Karlie quickly turns her attention to her, her back becoming tense at just the presence of the publicist. "Karlie, do you want to come in here?" Tree asks. She sounds tired, and for some reason it is not at all a welcome change to her usually confident, assured, and authoritative voice that Karlie is used to hearing.

"Yeah, sure," Karlie replies quietly, realizing now that the silence of the apartment isn't so much peaceful as it is seems to be eery.

Following Tree towards the kitchen silently, Karlie stops short in the doorway when she sees Taylor's back to her, as she sits at her kitchen table, shoulders hunched over with her head in her hands. She doesn't even perk up at all when Karlie enters the room, her body shows no sign of even acknowledging the model's presence. This was not like Taylor at all, being someone who is quick to greet even a stranger with a hug.

The kitchen is silent as Tree leans against the kitchen countertop. Karlie looks curiously to Tree and she purses her lips, not giving Karlie much information at all. When Karlie decides to fully enter the kitchen and walk to the table where Taylor is sitting, the only thing she can think is just how loud her footsteps sound in this quiet.

Karlie pauses right behind Taylor's chair, surely she knows Karlie is here now, even if she didn't before. She puts her hand out and hesitates before placing it softly between Taylor's very rigid shoulder blades. Taylor doesn't react at all, as if Karlie's hand isn't even there. She shifts her position to stand beside Taylor's chair, before lowering herself, squatting on her knees beside Taylor. Karlie stares at her, trying to make out just what Taylor's face is expressing now, but it is difficult between her shielding hands and curtain of blonde hair, as Taylor keeps her head on her hands firmly facing downwards. Something inside of Karlie tells her not to break the silence, to not project her voice in this room no matter how softly.