Chapter 8

I feel like the last couple of chapters are starting to become repetitive, but it is just the road trip. There will be different dynamics and conflicts after this chapter! New things are coming! :) 

Also, check out the Kaylor road trip instagrams, a lot of the photos are referenced :)

March 2014

When Karlie woke up next to Taylor as usual, she couldn't help but smile. Despite the habit they have formed, this morning was very different. This morning Karlie would be able to kiss Taylor good morning, this morning Karlie would be able to study the depths of Taylor's blue eyes without looking away, this morning Karlie would be able to tell Taylor how beautiful she looks waking up, and this morning Karlie would be able to tell Taylor she likes her.

She knew what a mess this would become for her once she returns to New York City tomorrow, but in their own little isolated slice of the world in Big Sur, she couldn't bring herself to worry. Not while she was holding the singer in her arms, anyway. 

Karlie takes the time to watch each slow breath Taylor takes while sleeping, her lips slightly parted, curled against Karlie on her side, head resting on her chest. She studies the singer's eyes, their shape and slight angle as she slept, and the long eyelashes that minutely fluttered perhaps in dream.  Karlie gently eases her grip on the older girl, and very softly traces her fingers along Taylor's side. She loves that she is holding Taylor as she sleeps, and she loves the new implications that come along with it after last night. She feels protective over her, and hopes that her arms offer the singer a safe place. 

Karlie loses track of the time, and isn't quite sure how long she has been admiring the singer when she awakens unexpectedly. All of Karlie's plans are forgotten when her own green eyes meet Taylor's blue. Their stare is piercing, and silent, as waking up in this way is something they never expected to do when they first became friends. Taylor's small sheepish smile breaks the intense stare, causing Karlie to offer her own large signature smile.

"Hey," Taylor says softly, her cheeks taking on a light tone of pink.

"Good morning," Karlie replies. The model pauses for a second before leaning in for a kiss, just to assure herself that last night hadn't been a dream. However, she freezes and loses all traces of her smile as the singer quickly jerks away.

"Morning breath," Taylor mumbles, putting her hands on Karlie's shoulders keeping the model a safe distance away.

Karlie's smile lights up her face once more, saying, "Don't scare me like that! Come here, I don't care."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," Taylor says laughing, before allowing Karlie to plant a quick, but meaningful, kiss on her lips.

After, they lie beside each other in thoughtful silence, allowing themselves to be engulfed by the different emotions that they now knew with certainty both of them felt. Although it was gratifying in ways that words can not describe, it was unfamiliar new territory.

"We should get out of bed, it is our last day," Taylor says against Karlie's shirt, holding a small wrinkled bunch of it in her hand.

"Don't worry," Karlie says, putting her hand in Taylor's hair and gently massages her scalp. Karlie would have had no problem doing this all morning, but she knew it was best to seize their last day while they could. "Okay, let's get ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They got ready side by side in the bathroom, sharing a sink and mirror, with small brushes of the shoulders and hands that were filled with meaning. They readied their suitcases together, creating a system of folding and packing in perfect harmony. They didn't talk much, they didn't need to, they knew how to be together.