Chapter 26

2/2 UPDATES UPLOADED!! I KNOW THEY'RE REALLY LATE... HAVEN'T PROOFREAD THIS ONE EITHER TELL ME IF THERE ARE ANY MISTAKES!

June 26, 2014

"This is the cutest cat I've ever seen in my life," Austin says, as he cradles the kitten in the passenger seat. Taylor is driving her own Lincoln, as it is safe enough for her to drive alone in Rhode Island, so long as a Lincoln filled with security trails behind. The last time she has been able to drive herself was during her road trip with Karlie.

Taylor has just picked up her brother from the airport and was driving him back to her Rhode Island home for the weekend. Karlie and Josh would be arriving a couple hours later.

"Try telling me she isn't the most aggressive sleeper you've ever seen," Taylor laughs, doing her best to keep her eyes on the road instead of checking out whatever sleeping position Olivia is in while sleeping in Austin's arms.

"I have to say, her commitment to to sleep is incredibly impressive," Austin agrees. "Meredith is a slave to comfort so this is really different. There is no way this is comfortable for her."

At a red light, Taylor has the chance to look at Olivia. She laughs seeing just how contorted her body appears, mouth hanging open, dead asleep. "I wish I could be that flexible."

"I don't even think she is flexible, I think this is borderline dangerous," Austin replies laughing, as he slowly and gently tries repositioning his own arms to cradle the kitten better. "Why would Karlie just randomly buy you a kitten?"

Taylor had accidentally let that part about Olivia slip. She had no intention of letting anyone else in on that secret. "You met her. You know she is abnormally amazing."

"That is true."

They drive in silence, each of them enjoying the New England beach town's coastline. Taylor revels in the illusion of independence she feels, as she drives herself back to her home. It makes her miss her time spent with Karlie on the road trip. She had gotten to live a normal life for a few days. She went unrecognized throughout their entire journey as they travelled north up California. There were secrets that even still remained safe from the trip, a feat Taylor thought was long since impossible for her to attain due to her lifestyle.

"It's weird to see you driving," Austin comments, breaking the silence.

"Tell me about it. I miss it so much," Taylor replies.

"I never think about it being something you would miss, but I guess that is just stupid of me," Austin says.

"No it's not, I never thought it was going to become something I would miss either."

They are pulling into the driveway of Taylor's beachfront home sooner than Taylor would like.

"I'm still not over this place," Austin says, as Taylor pulls the car around the roundabout before parking close to the front door.

"I have to say it is pretty obnoxious," Taylor laughs.

"I would say it is pretty great," Austin replies.

The siblings get out of the car and take deep breaths of the salty ocean air. The summer sun is hot, a nice ocean breeze blows the Swifts' hair from each of their faces. It is a quintessentially perfect summer day.

"Is it rude if I go to the beach before Karlie and Mr. Karlie get here?" Austin asks, as they climb up the stairs to the front door.

"His name is Josh," Taylor remarks, unlocking the mansion's door and walking inside, enjoying the welcome relief of air conditioning.