Chapter 4.2

Karlie had promised herself she would be at Taylor's apartment half an hour early before Tree's 5:30 arrival. She knew this was something she definitely couldn't be late for. She's lucky she made herself that deadline, however, because she's panicked as she blow dries her hair, glancing at the clock that shows it is 5:00 now. Okay, I will be twenty minutes early.

Karlie tosses the hair dryer aside and runs a hand through her still damp hair. She grabs her purse and is out the door, glad to see there are no paparazzi waiting for her. She decides to walk to Taylor's apartment once glancing at the city's rush hour traffic around her. It's only a ten minute walk, I can probably do it in eight.

She puts her headphones on and quickens her pace, but she is surprised when her music isn't playing, but rather her ringtone sounding.

"Hey, Jourdan," Karlie answers.

"Hey, Karlie! I want to plan a trip to see you in New York. What's your schedule like?" Jourdan asks.

"Um.. I really have no idea, can I call you in a bit and figure it out? I said I'd get to Taylor's early and I'm rushing to—"

"You? You are going to get somewhere early? And that's why you can't talk to me right now?" Jourdan asks, disbelief and annoyance in her voice.

"Okay, no I take that back. Hold on, I'll look at the calendar on my phone," Karlie says quickly, slowing her pace to look down at her screen as she walks.

"Forget it. Just text me some dates," Jourdan says, hanging up the phone with a snap.

Karlie groans and shoves her phone in her backup. Tomorrow I will get to explain everything to her. That's what this meeting is for. We'll be totally fine after tomorrow.

At 5:11, Karlie is bounding up the steps to Taylor's apartment building. A member of her security lets her in the lobby, and she takes the steps two at a time until she's on the very top floor. She walks to Taylor's apartment door more slowly, searching for Taylor's apartment key. By the time she gets it and unlocks the door, the key is slick with sweat.

"All that cardio in the gym for nothing," Karlie mumbles, her chest still tight as she continues panting slightly.

"Hello?" Taylor calls out, her voice sounding from upstairs.

"It's me," Karlie yells back, walking towards her favorite couch to sit down, realizing just how quickly she went up all those stairs.

"You're early!" Taylor exclaims when she walks into the room.

"Yeah and it practically killed me, so you're welcome," Karlie says. Taylor sits beside her and they give each other a quick kiss. "I wanted to be here like half an hour early, but I guess we only have like fifteen minutes. I just wanted to calm you down because I knew you'd be freaking out."

"We actually have like forty five minutes. I told you 5:30 instead of 6:00 because I figured you'd be ten minutes late," Taylor admits with a laugh.

"Ha! Proved you wrong!" Karlie says triumphantly. "I am not even that bad! I'm on time for important things!"

"You wouldn't even leave the apartment this morning on time! And I woke you up early!" Taylor laughs.

"That's what messed me all up! I am used to rushing, but you woke me up early so I thought I could take my time, but then I took too much time and was later than I would have been otherwise," Karlie replies with a smile. "Plus you were wearing this shirt and those shorts," Karlie says, her fingers lightly brushing the small of Taylor's back.

"You make no sense," Taylor replies with an amused smile and tender eyes, and once more Karlie feels as though there is something in her stare that she just can't identify.