Chapter 10

March 2014

Taylor sighs and leans her head back against her seat as she feels the plane rumble to life.  She would be landing in New York City in six hours time, to potentially find her new home. 

She had spent the last week doing research on the city, asking for advice from family and friends, and most importantly listening to Karlie’s encouragements. Karlie was unafraid to express how badly she wants Taylor in the city with her, and the singer had woken up daily to texts explaining new reasons why New York was the place for her. They brought a smile to Taylor’s face each morning, and Karlie always had more reasons to share when they spoke on the phone each night.

Taylor was confused by just about every aspect on her dynamic with Karlie currently, but one thing she knew to be true was that Karlie made her happy. Each day she looked forward to calling Karlie, knowing they would be on the phone laughing together each day for hours. They didn’t necessarily flirt, or really speak of what occurred on the road trip, but what was left unspoken was not out of mind.

Taylor had been trying her best to go into New York City with a purely patient and open mind, but each night she spent on the phone talking with Karlie made that to be a harder and harder feat. Saying goodbye to Karlie each night made it impossible. The singer had told friends and family that she is simply looking, seriously looking, but just looking; this was not the case, however. She was positive she would make the move to New York, and she was positive she wanted to do it as soon as possible.

She needed a new start. She was beginning to feel trapped by her own life to the point where she wasn’t living that life anymore, and Karlie had made her realize that. She wasn’t happy in Los Angeles anymore, and Nashville just wasn’t as practical a place for her to live in relation to her music and work as it once had been. New York was a logical choice. She loved the east coast’s beaches, and New York was incredibly close to her Rhode Island home. Talking to various friends of hers, she had even learned the paparazzi were more manageable than most places. Sure, harder to hide from, but much more respectful: they just wanted their shot. She didn’t have too many friends in New York City, apart from Karlie and Lena, but her friends in Los Angeles were often not even in town due to various other commitments. Taylor was positive Karlie would be determined to make her feel at home as well, introducing her to her own friends from the city.

What does moving to New York mean for me and Karlie? Taylor wonders. The singer had told the model the feelings she harbored for her, and the model had expressed the same sentiments. Since the road trip ended, the exchanges they had seemed like a dream. Not only was Taylor in disbelief that her memories were real, but her feelings for Karlie seemed just as unlikely to her. There was no use in denying their existence at this point, but they were so new and unexpected for a variety of reasons that Taylor was easily confused when dwelling on them. If she felt these emotions for a man in her life, Taylor would have a clear picture of what she wanted to pursue with those feelings. She would flirt, go on dates, hope for a future, especially at the man’s admission at having feelings as well. However, Karlie was Karlie, and that meant Taylor had no idea what to do with her feelings, and even if she did have a clue, Karlie has a boyfriend.

The thought of Josh makes the singer’s inside go cold. Jealous wasn’t a strong enough word to describe her feelings. The girls didn’t speak of Josh much, they never did in the past, but from the little of what Karlie has shared with Taylor about him she never felt a though he was a great match for her. She always tried her best to pass as little judgement as possible, however, as she had never met the highly successful entrepreneur. However, since developing feelings for the model Taylor had found it extremely difficult to keep up that mindset. She didn’t want Karlie to be together with him.