Chapter 11.1

July 25, 2014

Karlie finds herself in the early afternoon to be sitting on her living room sofa, absentmindedly flipping through coffee table books she's never had much interest in before, wondering just what it was that she did before Taylor moved to New York City. How can a city filled with millions of people feel so desolate to her now just because of the absence of one particular woman? She sighs and closes the large hardcover book of modern art and tosses it back on the coffee table, wishing she had told Derek Blasberg she would grab lunch with him today. Karlie had declined, believing she would need the afternoon to clean up her apartment before Cara and Jourdan arrived, and instead made plans for him to spend a night out with the girls tomorrow. However, she had her apartment spotless in no time at all, mostly because the apartment is mainly unlived in these days. She should have cleaned Taylor's apartment instead.

I need a dog or something. Karlie flips through channels on the television, finding everything on to be just as interesting as the book she just tossed aside. Since when were days off so difficult and empty?

Taylor's absence may not have been weighing on her as heavy as it is now if their goodbye had been better, if their goodbye had been one that they deserved. Watching Taylor get into her black SUV to leave for a few days had left Karlie feeling hollow, immediately wishing that she hadn't wasted that last half hour with Taylor sitting on the couch alone in Taylor's apartment.

She knows an easy way to pass the time has always been to give Taylor a call, but right now Karlie isn't even sure if she can do that. Would it be possible for them to have a light and entertaining conversation on the phone when there is sure much more serious things to talk about between them when Taylor returns home from Nashville?

As she stares at her phone, debating whether or not to try calling Taylor, she receives a text message from her sister Kimby. Why she thought Kimby would provide her with a welcome distraction is a mystery to Karlie, when she opens up the text message asking Why did Josh post a picture of you on Instagram?

That's a conversation for another time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hug Cara envelopes Karlie in as soon as the door is opened is one Karlie had needed more than she realized. Her laughter comes easy right along with Cara's as they rock back and forth, half hugging half wrestling.

"Hello!" Cara exclaims, the lilt of her accent a welcome sound to Karlie's ears.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Karlie squeals, finally breaking apart from their embrace as she helps Cara to bring her luggage further into Karlie's apartment.

"It's going to be a great time!" Cara replies, her own excitement matching Karlie's in every way.

"Jourdan is landing in a couple of hours," Karlie informs her, as they both struggle up the stairs, a bag of luggage in each of their hands.

"We should totally go pick her up at the airport in an Uber or something. She'll be shocked," Cara laughs.

"We should!" Karlie laughs. "Why on earth did you bring so much?" Karlie says through gritted teeth, as she momentarily loses her footing on the stairs.

"I was just with Selena for her birthday! I had to pack for multiple trips!" Cara defends herself.

"Oh, yeah, I saw those pictures of you and Selena showering together on the boat," Karlie says slyly, biting back a smile when the urge to glance behind her to see Cara's face is too difficult to resist.

"Oh, you did, did you?" Cara asks with an exasperated laugh.

"Yeah, what was that about?" Karlie asks, dropping the bags at the doorway of her guest bedroom.