Chapter 14.2

"I'm not that busy, I swear. Even when I get busy, it won't be that bad, I'm not going to be like Josh, I promise," Taylor cries, as her and Karlie stand in mostly darkness at the very edge of the Kloss backyard where trees line the perimeter of their property.

"Baby, I know. Don't worry, I know. No matter how busy you do get, we'll make it work," Karlie assures her, holding her face firmly with both hands. She takes an accidental step forward, stepping on Taylor's foot as she stares intently at her face. Taylor is quick to notice.

"Are you okay?" Taylor asks, gripping Karlie's forearms tightly, realizing she seems to be slightly swaying back and forth.

Karlie nods her head, her green eyes still sharp and clear, staring intently and worriedly into Taylor's own blue eyes. "Don't care about what you heard them say. They were just gossiping, and my aunt doesn't know anything about what's going on."

"I know she doesn't, but of course she had to say two of the things they were talking about," Taylor replies, sounding completely defeated as a few more tears fall from her eyes. Karlie's thumb is wiping them clear almost as soon as Taylor realizes they've fallen. "I don't care what happens to us, I'm never going to write a song about you that's—"

"Taylor! I know all of this! Don't be upset by what they think, we know what's true. They don't," Karlie says.

"It just sucks, did you see the way they looked at each other? They think I'm some...I don't know. They're just not thinking anything good," Taylor replies.

Karlie's features darken at the mention of the not so sly her sister and mother exchanged, and Taylor almost doesn't want to bring it up, but Karlie has become someone she needs to go to for comfort now. She relies on her.

"I SEE YOU GUYS!" Matty's voice greets them in darkness.

Karlie quickly pulls Taylor close to her, allowing Taylor to shield her tears, as they suddenly hear Brendan and Matty's footsteps pounding the ground, running towards them.

Taylor closes her eyes and keeps her face against Karlie's shoulder, suddenly embarrassed and panicked by the idea of the young boys finding her emotionally distraught.

Their footsteps grow loud and sounds of their heavy breathing are right beside them when Taylor is slapped hard by one of the boys.

"GOT YOU BOTH!" Matty yells. "I TAGGED YOU BOTH!"

"You guys are so dumb why didn't you hide better, we obviously were going to look here," Brendan pants. "Now you guys are going to have to look for everyone in the next round."

"Matty, did you just slap Taylor's butt?" Karlie asks suddenly.

"You did?!" Brendan exclaims, sounding shocked.

"NO!" he yells.

"I just saw it happen!" Karlie exclaims, playfully arguing.

Taylor can't help but laugh against Karlie's shirt, the same shirt that is dampened by her tears as she wraps her arms around Karlie's waist.

"I...NOT ON PURPOSE! ON ACCIDENT!" Matty yells.

"Yeah, you better watch it, buddy," Karlie warns. "Why are you always yelling? I'm standing right here."

"You touched Taylor Swift's butt," Brendan says slowly, sounding completely shocked, even scared.

"WELL...SHE'S NOT EVEN HIDING!" Matty replies, sounding panicked and confused and most certainly defensive.

"What are you talking about? She's hiding right now, can you see her? Look, she's hiding," Karlie replies, rocking Taylor back and forth in her embrace.