Chapter 29

July 4, 2014

Taylor's heart is racing, pushing aside more and more magazines that are cascading down upon her. She's trapped in a room at the bottom of a staircase, and she can't make it up the stairs to stop the flow of hundreds of magazines. She's being crushed by front covers and headlines of her and Karlie, caught together. If she can just make it up the stairs she might be safe, she might be able to get away from the increasing weight of the papers. Each time she makes it up a couple of the stairs, however, it seems the flow of magazines increases, and she loses her balance and falls back into the room she's trying escape from. Since the last time she fell down the stairs, she has yet to regain her footing. The magazines were up to her knees now and continuing to fall. Taylor cries out in panic as she tries wrenching one of her legs free before she becomes even more trapped. She looks up the staircase, trying to find the top and spot the source of all these magazines, but she can't see. All Taylor knows for sure is if they don't stop falling soon, she'll be buried in them.

She begins panicking when the magazines start coming down twice as fast, as there are now all different headlines and pictures of her and Karlie. Where did all of these pictures come from? And all the different headlines? None of them were inaccurate, they had all the facts. The pile is growing faster and faster, and now Taylor is trapped by her surroundings that come halfway up her thigh. She's crying now, somehow knowing that if she was completely immobilized by the weight of these magazines when they were surrounding her knees, she's doomed now. She continues to struggle, fight for her freedom, she has no other choice. She has to raise her arms above her face to protect herself from the ever increasing stream of magazines down the staircase. She panics seeing these new headlines now, speaking of her ticket prices dropping, albums not selling, stadiums empty. She's a pariah. Pictures showed awards she had won being taken away from her, none of the feelings she wrote about had been real. Her music wasn't real. Her relationships with those men weren't real. She had no right to those awards. Taylor was buried up to her waist now, and the more and more magazines that come down the more and more false they become. How could Taylor explain that her music was genuine if she's trapped down here by all of the lies? When the magazines had first started pouring down there weren't any ludicrous lies, but rather the unfortunate truth of her and Karlie. Now the magazines were becoming outrageous.

"Taylor?" A familiar voice rocks Taylor's body, one without a sound of the panic Taylor is feeling, but rather only mild surprise.

Taylor spins her head quickly, finding Karlie in the room with her. The only difference is, the model is walking towards her, easily able to walk atop the piles of magazines that are beginning to pain Taylor's abdomen, the softer parts of her body now being crushed.

"Karlie!" Taylor gasps, thankful to have her for company. She could pull Taylor out of this, she was so strong.

"What are you doing that for?" Karlie asks, her mildly surprised voice the same as it had been. She has to crouch over as she walks to Taylor, as her head is too close to the ceiling because of the huge pile of paper she must walk atop of.

"What?!" Taylor exclaims, confused by the question. "Karlie, help me! I can't get out, I'm stuck!" Taylor pleads, reaching out to the model.

"Just move, Taylor," Karlie says, sounding confused as to why Taylor can't help herself. Karlie is having no trouble at all staying above all the magazines. None of them have even hit her as they rain down from the staircase.

"I can't, Karlie, please, hurry. Just pull me, Karlie," Taylor panics, beginning to cry now as the magazines pile up to her chest. Karlie has to crouch down lower and lower as the pile she stands atop up becomes higher and higher.