Chapter 11

March 2014

"I just thought you would be there the day I move in," Taylor whines into the phone, as she walks around her Beverly Hills making sure everything is taken care of before her extended leave from it.

"I'm sorry, I will be there a couple of days later to help you with anything that needs to be done. I will take you out for lunch. Lily will be there the day you move in, you will be fine," Karlie replies, sounding apologetic. Karlie was away from the city for work, and Taylor would be moving into her new apartment tomorrow.

In the past two weeks Taylor officially purchased her new apartment, Taylor and Karlie have spoken daily and even broke their phone record by talking for four and a half hours, and Taylor's album was finally complete, final touches and all. Taylor and Karlie had the next six months to spend however they pleased together in New York City.

"I know, I'm sorry. I am just getting stressed out now," the singer says, feeling bad hearing the guilt projected in Karlie's tone.

"Don't be stressed out, everything will go smoothly. You are going to have so many people helping you unpack," Karlie soothes.

"I know, it is still scary. It is an entirely new place," Taylor says, flopping down on her bed and wondering when the next night will be that she spends in this bed.

"I will be there, though. You're going to love it, I promise. I'm really not away that often don't worry," Karlie says, beginning to sound worried realizing how nervous Taylor has become.

Taylor is beginning to fully realize how big of a risk her move to New York City is. She hadn't realized that Karlie is, as of now, essentially her only friend in the city. She was hoping Lena would be able to spend time with her at least one of the days until Karlie returns from work, but Taylor didn't know what Lena's schedule was like. Lily was only going to be in New York for the day. Taylor would be much more dependent on Karlie than she expected, at least at first.

"Okay," Taylor replies sounding unsure.

"It will be fine. It is going to be so much fun, seriously. We are going to be able to see each other practically everyday," Karlie says, determined to assure the older girl and ease her worries.

"Okay, I know," Taylor sighs, sounding slightly more positive.

"I'm so excited to see you again, you know," Karlie replies, changing the subject.

"I know, I've missed you," Taylor replies, with a small smile Karlie is unable to see.

"What are we going to do?" Karlie asks lightly, but Taylor interprets it as a loaded question. The last time they had been together they had said goodbye with a kiss.

"Um.. whatever you want to do. What do you mean?" Taylor asks, not wanting to say the wrong thing.

"I don't know, I'm just trying to take your mind off of everything," Karlie answers.

Her response is followed by a strained silence, a rarity between the two. They have yet to talk explicitly of their road trip in any detail together, neither girl has brought up Josh. Despite the lack of communication in that area, there was obviously something different between them by the way they spoke everyday at such length, and just the nurturing nature they had for each other. Neither of them had ever missed someone who is just a friend in this way either. As the silence continues, Karlie uncomfortably clears her throat before being the first to speak up.

"What is it?" Karlie asks, directly addressing the awkward lapse in conversation.

"Nothing, what?" Taylor asks, knowing she sounds as awkward as this entire exchange feels. She isn't used to anything feeling less than completely natural with Karlie.