Chapter 15

August 6, 2014

"Okay, I have to get my apartment ready for the listening party I'm having for radio DJs, tonight," Taylor says, as the SUV her and Karlie are sitting in the backseat of, along with the cats, slowly maneuvers its way through New York City traffic.

"Tonight?! For the album?" Karlie asks in surprise.

Taylor nods her head, "Promo for that starts literally this week. I feel like my summer is over."

"We haven't even gotten home yet and you're already back to business," Karlie says.

"I'm going to have to have Tree come over to help set up," Taylor says, mostly to herself as if not even hearing Karlie.

Karlie looks out the window, watching the different people walk past on the city sidewalk. Various people wearing sunglasses, laughing with friends, stopping at food carts, walking dogs...none of these people's summers are over, yet Karlie suddenly feels the same as Taylor in early August.

"Come to the gym with me," Karlie says, turning to Taylor and gripping her wrist, smiling hopefully.

"Karlie, I literally just told you what I have to do today, I haven't even started cleaning for—"

"Pleeeeeease," Karlie begs, "Your apartment is always clean, what do you mean you need to clean? If you come to the gym with me, I'll come to your apartment and help you get ready for the party."

Taylor is fighting a smile, staring at her as she slowly shakes her head, blue eyes twinkling in the way that they always do when Karlie is doing something she finds particularly amusing. "Fine," Taylor mutters.

"I'm going to make sure you get killed in the gym today for all that horrible food you made me eat these last few days," Karlie promises, as she wraps her arms around Taylor's shoulders, thanking her for joining in on her fitness appointment.

"Why am I going with you again?" Taylor asks drily, playfully trying to shake herself out of Karlie's strong hug.

"Because you love me," Karlie answers easily.

Their lips lock in the backseat behind tinted windows, both of them too consumed by each other to even hear the very unromantic sounds of taxi drivers arguing with each other, car horns blaring, tires screeching. When together, they are all each other can see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Never. Again. Never. Again. Never. Again," Taylor repeats through gritted teeth, squeezing her eyes shut as she feels a bead of sweat begin trickling from her hairline towards her nose, as she struggles holding her plank.

"Drama queen," Karlie laughs, bumping shoulders with Taylor.

Taylor's arms are already shaking, so it's easy to get her off balance as she tries keeping her body as straight as possible with her head and hips down. "KARLIE!" Taylor warns, almost slipping completely in part because of how sweaty her forearms have made the floor beneath her.

"Karlie, keep your form. You can't be bringing her around here if you're just going to be distracted the whole time," Karlie's personal trainer says, sounding tired. It's not the first time he's had to give Karlie this exact warning today.

"Yeah, Karlie, keep your form," Taylor mutters.

"I'm in good form! You're butt is too high in the air, though, your form is horrible," Karlie says matter of factly beside her.

"Karlie, keep your head down, that's not good form either," the trainer reprimands.

Taylor shakes her head, staring at the ground. "Do you ever rest?" Taylor asks as she side eyes Karlie, keeping the question vague enough to be able to ask in front of the trainer.