Chapter 35: The Symbiotic World: Part 2

In a heap of mess lay a frail body. Hair in hopeless disarray, her hands crunching on her garments. Around her, things lay scattered- from books to fabrics to devices- everything that was in her room was mostly on the floor, lying by her side in an answer to her actions rather than placed in their designated places.

She had refrained from hearing any news from the outside. She feared the worst. It tore her apart just by imagining it. Markus had cautioned her not to go down on the planet the very first time they had visited it. But now, her closest friend was down there, probably fighting unthinkable oppositions.

She was choking on her breath, and rivers flowed through the landscape of her mien. Her eyes had caved in to canyons. Her lips quivered.

She knew the IMG had safely got back into the ship. But how could they? How could they leave him down there on his own.

She hated to ask this but she was helpless. Why did it seem so improbable. Why was she having these thoughts?!

Would he make it back?

These were exactly the kind of thoughts she shouldn't be having.

She continued sobbing. There was nothing she could do. Nothing.

__________

"GET OFF ME!" Jayden screamed. He struggled to get a hold of the body of the creature that was upon him. It drooled all over his helmet. Bulbous and ugly, it was like an abomination from an experiment gone wrong. The conical anterior part of the creature somewhat resembled a worm. But it had a nasty hole in the front and it was oozing some liquid. The 'mouth' was multi-layered.

Jayden couldn't bear to look at it anymore. He punched the creature hard in the mid-section. He expected it to rip off of him. Instead, it's delicate body exploded in a mess of goo.
He raised his hand to see strings of goo stretch and fall off.

"Yuck. Need to wash this off somehow before I get back."

Even if his body was still safe from the stench and was clean, he couldn't bear to drag all the mess with him everywhere. This gave his crew all the more reason not to rescue him.

He stopped in his tracks, and his chest felt heavy. His breath, laboured.

Even though the thought crossed his mind humorously, he still couldn't believe they had no plans yet for his rescue. Get rid of the negativity. They must be planning something. Just keep your cool. Focus.

__________

Sharlotte had her palm covering her mouth. Her eyebrows were set in distress. "Markus, he won't survive there. The elements are fatal on that planet!"

Markus knew it all too well. He had all the data before him.

Time was running out.

Juvo's ship had not attacked them yet. Maybe, they had received orders to hold back till Juvo returned? But they were not making any move for his rescue. It was indeterminable what they were thinking. What action could the IMG take against them? What if it backfired?

For the time being, they decided to stay put. Their only goal now, was to rescue Jayden. And... well, they had to hand over Juvo to the Galactic Patrol but it seemed unlikely that he would make it out alive. His followers had to be taken into custody. But they didn't see how it could be done without getting themselves blown up by Juvo's ship.

 But they didn't see how it could be done without getting themselves blown up by Juvo's ship