Chapter 23: Dependence

Sitting on the bed, and clasping her father's hands, Radhika listened to him. He spoke of a great venture to an unknown place. A mission of great potential. A planet dammed by the Gods themselves. A woman seeking to revive her home. It awed her how much she had been missed from his life. How much more she could have done, had she not perished.

She heard him. She heard it all. Some facts baffled her, yet she maintained her normality.

And then she was caught off guard.

"I need you to come with me. I request you to bring your comrades along. We really need some hands if we are going to survive this thing. And-" he looked deep in her eyes, "It would give me strength of I find my daughter alongside me. It's not the reason I came to you. Hell! I just wanted to see you so bad! But while walking along with you outside, I came to realise how big a lead we could get if only you all helped us. It's impossible to evade such a powerful enemy without an army, and though it's nothing even close to a real one. Diminutive even, but still- it's better than having nothing. And perhaps Saaret could help us further. We'll see."

With the same sweetness of the girl that once laughed and played in Sanduo's lap, she said, "Baba, we are always there to fight off evil. And it's an honour that we are being given a chance even in Afterlife. And if it brings the Multiverse out of trouble, it's our responsibility," she smiled. "Now introduce me to your crew." Her jubilation was heart warming.

He caressed the side of her face. "Of course, sweetie. Follow me." She giggled behind, as she got up.

Saaret was waiting outside the apartment. They joined him and Saaret guided them back to the portal.

Now slowly, the habitations were receding in the distance. And as far as Radhika could see, red stretched to infinity. She had come here a few times. She had met her relatives who were lucky enough to have long expiry times. Saaret had made her known of hers. She liked not to think about it.

Instead, with a brightened demeanor, she conversed with Saaret. Sometimes talking was necessary. Uplifting even. "Saaret, I am so happy to see him! All this time, I wanted him so badly. But I knew Life forbid us to meet. And I didn't want him to lose his life. But, as it turns out, I do get the chance! I thank my fortune."

"I know ma'am," Saaret began without looking back, "you'd like his little crew too. They all are of the same age as yours. They make their habitat abuzz with the cacophony of their little jokes and playful manners. It's euphoric there. Though your father was an exception," he glanced at Sanduo momentarily, "I guess it wouldn't be that way now that he has found you. Had it been normal like the others I have guided over the eons, I would say that it would have saddened me to see them all break down and turn gloomy once they actually grasped that they were detached from their home world and that there is no way of return. But, thankfully that isn't the case."

A gentle breeze went past them.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm afraid I can't say anymore. Time forbids me for it chooses to be the main speaker sometimes. You'll have to wait and see."

Having said that he went ahead of both of them by nearly a metre and a half and maintained the distance.

"There are many answers which we have yet to find out," Sanduo said to his daughter. Then he flicked a smile. "Don't let that bother you."

They entered the portal soon after.