Chapter 19: Awakening

They inhaled. A strong white noise buzzed in their ears slowly moving them into consciousness. Sierra slowly dug her nails into the soil, then caught the side of her head. It hurt. She felt dizzy. She groggily fought to maintain her posture, but her body failed and she fell to the ground, her little face getting covered in dust.

She slowly turned to a side and opened her eyes, blinking incessantly, trying to gain focus on her vision. She saw figures. Like her, their team was lying on the ground- breathing.

"Guys?" she squeaked. "Why do I feel so... weak?" she murmured to herself, her voice barely giving way to the words properly. She looked at her hand that was lying by her head; she saw white. A white drapery. "Huh?" How did she get into it? She and all the others had been wearing suits previously. Spacesuits.

She felt light. Light as a feather. But still she couldn't overcome her weight and sit upright.

Then, slowly, her mind registered the prognosis. She gasped, slowly through the little opening she had amid her lips. Am I.... dead?

She looked towards them, their bodies lying peacefully, wind batting by their white garments. Are they also... dead?

She closed her eyes tightly at the thought. She had felt nothing. Not even a diminutive hint of pain. Was this how dying felt like? No. It must not. She and the others were lucky to have recieved such a death. Such a peaceful one. But still, she was perplexed at her situation. The reality was inconceivable. Was this even what she was thinking it to be? Was this all, but a dream? A really long, long dream?

She was in a trance. And so were the others. Aghast from their present being. The moments passing by were so unpleasant... yet soothing.

Her hair blew lightly at the breeze. It was warm, but cool. She felt like as if she were on a beach, sitting by a rock and looking at the waves crashing and the droplets of water sprinkling across her face. She could almost smell the wet soil.

Just then she saw it. It wasn't any ordinary soil; it was violet.

Like a very deep purple powder

Like a very deep purple powder. But it felt like any other natural soil. She knocked everything out of her head. It must be a dream, a very distant one... I just need to wake up. Thinking that, she slept.

__________

"Sierra?"

She felt a rocking action on her body. She looked up. "Sir Sanduo?" She could make out his countenance clearly now- a culmination of almost all the negative emotions. He didn't say anything more, and got up.

It seemed like they had found their strength back and so had she. She got up to her feet, her bare toes sinking into the violet soil. She rubbed the sleepiness off her eyes and looked ahead.