Chapter 24: Vengeance

The corridor that led to the hall was dark. A figure slowly emerged from it into the vast space, aglow with a fluorescent blue hue. It emanated from his left hand and shined on its metallic surface.

A cylindrical capsule. A fluorescent liquid inside of it. A murky smile on its new owner.

The aghast scene got even more horrific as the view of the figure fell on the bars. Another crouched figure sat in darkness, with harnesses restricting movement. Though there was no way of an escape, his imprisoner had made sure there wasn't even the most minute chance of one.

"The looks really appeal me...", he grinned in ostensible psychopathy.

The prisoner shifted and sat upright leaning on the wall. "Don't do it."

"Do what?" his gaze fell on his prisoner, his left eye glowing red and menacing.

"Juvo, don't break the balance. Don't out-do what the Gods have been doing for eternity. It's best to leave and accept everything as it is."

But Juvo was heedless. He was obdurate on achieving what he deemed righteous.

"They have failed. This was all to shut down eventually, had this gone over another few cycles. The Creators hate bugs. They aspire the best simulation. The best outcome. The best possibility. The best Multiverse. A single being crashing the whole program by chance? That's a flaw. A flaw in the system. Let me fix it with the existing resources. Let me right the wrongs. Many have died for attainment of what is right. Let a few die more. For we should live in the perfect world. Not one with glitches."

He aspired to change the rules of travel between universes. What Sharlotte had broken. What it may have been if a single being of a different 'verse evaporated another was a chain reaction that could have destroyed the whole multiverse, failing the simulation. Destroying everything. If Juvo changed that law, 'verses incompatible with sustaining beings of other 'verses would vanish or evaporate. It was still less damage than destroying the whole multiverse. That was his point.

But the repercussions? Who could predict them? No one had done what he was going to do. No one knew what would happen.

"Being let down and defeated here I started my journey of this 'verse, to explore and find what was best for me. Where I could survive supreme. Not demonized by nearly every galaxy. I am destined to achieve more. A law forbids me? I don't care! And if my doings right the system, so be it. That's destiny itself beckoning my hand."

"How did you even manage to come to the land of the dead?"

"I am cyborg. My soul has hidden itself amidst organic and inorganic robes. I concealed myself thereby much more effectively than any pure form of life. My life energy has thus, been blurred. And you know why you've not been a problem: you were revived. To be the audience of my grand play! I first killed you, then I rejuvenated you while your cells were still active. For death won't be enough for you, you ought to see what happens. Someone has to witness it all! Happening infront of their eyes," he inhaled deeply. Then exhaling, he continued, "Now, it's only a matter of time. A matter of 'when'"

"Why wait?"

He smiled on the note. "I have a few arrangements to make. An army to help me."

His captive knew of it. He was familiar to it, even. Much more deeply than what could have been said just by looking at him. He was initially a part of it. Vengeance.

His eyes blazed yellow as Juvo went out of sight. How he was going to prepare an army was beyond him. But he knew what was going to come. And he could never allow it to happen while he still had a chance of putting it off.