Chapter 31 - Ropes

"Where's Gibbs?" Abby asked, walking into the bull pen. Ziva was standing in front of her desk, picking up a clipboard and a stack of papers.

"He is down in interrogation." Ziva said, "Do you need something?"

"I just wanted to know if there are any updates on the people that kidnapped Tim and Carter... It irks me that someone would target them. That poor couple has been through hell and back multiple times already. I want to know why they targeted them." Abby said, standing next to Ziva.

"Well, I am on my way down to watch the interrogation if you would like to join me... It is the man who spared Carter's life." Ziva walked towards the elevator.

"Can I really watch?" Abby asked excitedly, following Ziva.

"Yes. Come on." Ziva stepped into the elevator and pressed the button. Abby quickly entered right before the doors closed.

Ding!

The two of them walked down the hallway and into the observation room. Ziva opened the door, causing all of the heads in the room to turn. Tony, Jimmy, Ducky, and Vance were already all crowded into the small room. "Have room for two more?" Abby smirked as her and Ziva walked in.

"I guess everyone is curious as to what this bastard has to say." Vance laughed.

"Of course we are!" Abby said.

"Shhh!" Tony held his finger up to his lip. He then pointed at Gibbs, who was standing with his back towards the one-way mirror. He was hunched forward, resting his hands on the table, staring into the man's eyes.

"I'm going to ask you again. What was going to happen if we didn't come save the McGee's?" Gibbs said, sternly.

"I swear, I don't know." the man said, looking to the right.

"He's lying." Tony said.

"How do you know?" Jimmy asked.

"He looked to the right. People look to the right when they are lying about something they heard." Tony leaned against the window.

"Don't lie to me. I know that you know." Gibbs pounded his fist on the table, making the man jump.

"Alright. Fine. I know." the man swallowed hard before looking up into Gibbs' eyes, "They wanted you all here... There was a suicide bomber who was going to come in and blow up the entire building. My brother thought that if he held some of your people hostage, we could convince you to stay here if we threatened their lives... But that is all I know. I swear. My brother roped me into this at the last minute. This is all just stuff I overheard."

"Who are 'they'?" Gibbs asked, using air quotes.

"I don't know. I never met the other people. I just knew my brother. I do know that there were three of them, if that helps."

"Fine... Why did they target the McGee's?" Gibbs looked at him.

"Because my brother knew that they had gone missing together before. He knew that you all care a lot about them. I don't remember how, but my brother said that they were more connected to the team than anybody else? Something about having a sibling on the team? And best friends? I don't know."

"And what were you going to do with them after the building got blown up?"

"Kill them. He just said we weren't so you wouldn't try to save them." the man shrugged. Gibbs turned around and faced the mirror. He nodded his head. Seconds later, Tony and Ziva walked in and grabbed the man under his arms, helping him stand up. They escorted him out of the building and over to the police car that was waiting for him. "I am so sorry. I didn't want to do any of this... My brother threatened to kill me if I didn't." The man started to cry as Ziva slammed the door.

"So what now?" Tony asked, as the police car drove off.

"We figure out who those other men are." Gibbs said, walking back towards the building.

"Back to the crime scene then, I guess." Ziva looked up at Tony.

"I would assume so, yes." Tony ran after Gibbs. The three of them entered the building, entering into the elevator.

Ding!

"Gibbs!" Abby exclaimed, as the doors slid open to the bright orange room.

"Yeah, Abbs?" Gibbs asked.

"Remember the ropes that Tim and Carter were tied up with?" Abby asked.

"Yeah... Why?" Gibbs asked, pushing past her.

"I found DNA on them the other day. I just assumed that it was from the people who sold it to them... But now I'm thinking it might be the other men that were involved." Abby smiled.