Chapter 35 - Fake

"Hey, Tony." Carter looked over at the door of the hospital room as he walked in. She was laying in the hospital bed cuddled up with Tim.

"How are the lovebirds?" Tony laughed.

"We're good." Carter grabbed Tim's phone and handed it to him.

"No iPad?" Tony asked. Tim shook his head and typed away on his phone.

Buzz! Buzz!

"He says nope." Carter looked down at her phone, "He hates the iPad so now I am communicating for him." Her phone buzzed again. "Ah ok... He doesn't hate the iPad, he just doesn't like it talking for him... He likes playing games on it."

"Uh huh..." Tony sat down in the chair.

"What are you doing out of work so early?" Carter asked, sitting up.

"I wanted your opinion on something." Tony said.

"Sure... What's up?"

"Ziva..." Tony sighed.

"Is everything alright between the two of you?"

"I am not sure... I think I messed up." Tony said.

Buzz! Buzz!

"Tim asks what you did." Carter read.

"She told me she loves me last night... And I didn't say it back... She's been ignoring me all day." Tony looked over at her. Carter's eyes got huge.

"Tony! You didn't say it back?!" Carter looked down at her phone, and hit Tim's arm, "I'm not saying that." Tim looks at her and then back at his phone, texting Tony instead.

"I know I f'd up, Tim. I get that... But is it better for me to say it when I'm not ready? Or to wait until I am ready?"

"You don't love her?" Carter asked.

"I didn't say that... I just said that I am not ready to tell her that I love her yet." Tony started picking at his nails, "But believe me... I love her more than anything."

"You do?" Ziva asked, standing in the doorway behind him. He slowly turned around to look at her.

"Uh... Yeah... I do... I just haven't ever really felt it when I've said it to anyone before. I was afraid to tell you because I thought maybe it would make me feel the way I've felt with all the rest of the women I've told... Ziva, I love you."

"I love you, too, Tony." Ziva kissed his cheek, "Well... How do you feel?"

"...I..." Tony looked at her, "I still feel the same way about you that I did before." He smirked. Carter looked over at Tim and smiled.

"Awe. My big brother is growing up." Carter teased.

"Oh shut up." Tony said, hugging Ziva around the waist.

Buzz! Buzz!

Ziva grabbed her phone out of her pocket and looked over at Tim. "Really, McGee?" Ziva chuckled, as Tim grinned.

"What is it, Zi?" Tony asked.

"I never thought I would see the day where Tony settled down with someone." Ziva read, before putting her phone down.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Tony asked. Tim shrugged. "You know, Tim... If you weren't married to my sister, I'd probably kick your ass."

"Let's not kick anyone's ass please." Dr. Ellington walked into the room, "Alright, Timothy. Time for me to check the wounds, and for you to try speaking again."

"Do you want us to go?" Carter asked. Tim looked at her and shook his head no. "Are you sure?" He shook his head no again.

"Alright. Are you ready?" Dr. Ellington asked as he grabbed onto the dressing over Tim's throat. Tim closed his eyes and nodded. Dr. Ellington slowly peeled off the tape, revealing the long incision along his neck. He winced in pain as the tape pulled on his skin. "It looks to be healing quite nicely."

"That's a good sign, right?" Tony asked.

"Well, there's no way to tell how the inside is healing up. It might not be as progressed as the outside is." Dr. Ellington looked at Tim and nodded, "Are you ready to try speaking again?" Tim nodded and looked around the room. All of the eyes were on him. Taking a deep breath, Tim opened his mouth, and all that came out was a small squeal. He looked at the floor defeatedly.

"It's alright, Timmy. It really is." Carter kissed the top of his head, and he faked a smile.