Chapter 4 - Croak

"How is she?" Tony asked as he appeared in the doorway.

"She is doing alright. The doctor is easing her off of the propofol they gave her and she is starting to become more alert." Tim said, still holding on to Carter's hand, "Grab her hand and watch this."

"Alright." Tony seemed apprehensive, but when he looked over to see Senior shaking his head, he reached out and grabbed onto Carter's hand.

"Carter. That is Tony. Your brother. Can you squeeze his hand for me?" Tim asked quietly. Tony jumped back and took a deep breath in. "She's gonna be alright, Tony!" Tim's smile spread across his face.

"Carter has been putting up quite the fight." A Doctor said walking into the room, "But she's not in the clear yet."

"What do you mean?" Senior asked impatiently.

"She can hear you! Please, don't talk about this here." Tim said sternly.

"Fine, Timothy. We will talk outside... But don't you want to know?"

"No. I am staying right by her side. I'm not giving up on her... Not yet."

"I'll go, McGee. I'll let you know how it goes." Tony said, stepping out into the hallway with Senior and the Doctor.

"Carter's central nervous system took a dive after her lead poisoning. I'm not sure if she will be able to walk again... And her ribs were shattered. Some pieces pierced into her lungs. We don't know if her lung capacity will be up to what she needs it to be. There are a lot of things that we don't have answers to just yet. When she wakes up we will know more, but for now, we are preparing for the worst." The doctor said.

"You're telling me that you have no idea what is going to happen with my little sister?" Tony asked with tears gathering in his eyes.

"No, sir. We don't know... I am so sorry." The doctor said, looking through the window to see Tim sitting in a chair, running his thumb along the side of Carter's hand, "Who is going to tell her husband?"

"Oh. He's not her husband... Just a friend."

"Could have fooled me." The doctor turned away and left.

Tony sighed and looked through the window. Tim looked so at peace running his thumb along Carter's hand. Looking away, a tear slowly fell from Tony's eye and down his cheek. He didn't have the heart to tell Tim what the doctor had said.

"Tony!" Tim called from inside the room. Tony looked over to see Carter's eyes partly open. Running back into the room Tony grabbed on to Carter's hand once again.

"Can we get a doctor? This young lady needs the tube taken out of her throat!" Senior announced.

The doctor came rushing over. He quickly unhooked some of the machines attached to Carter's body before pulling the tube out of her throat. As the tube came out Carter's face showed her discomfort.

"Hey, Carter... How do you feel?" Tony asked.

"Alright." Carter croaked out. Her voice was scratchy from the lack of speaking.

"I'm so glad that you're awake." Tim said, wrapping her in a soft hug. Senior slowly walked to the foot of the bed.

"Who... Who are you?" Carter coughed.

"Hello, Carter... I am your father." Senior smiled.